Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice on my rear axles.

Need a little advice on my rear axles.

First of new member and first post so I'd like to say hi to all.

I've got a 2000 Tacoma 4wd . It's the TRD model with an eLocker . I installed a supercharger in it when it was around 2 years old and the 7th injector kit about a half a year later. Unfortunately, it has recently fallen into raggedy shape and now I'm trying to get it back to running well.

The first item on my list was the oil leaking from the rear axles.I have heard some noises from the rear of the truck also which led me to believe that one or both of the axle bearings needed replacement.

My problem is this. When i took the axles off today, I was surprised to see ABS rings installed on the axles. Because the truck doesn't have ABS. Nothing but the rings are installed. No sensors, etc.

My question is this. After looking at the factory manual, it looks like I can simply have the
    ABS rings taken off and not replace them. Is this correct? Because the bearings definitely need replacing so I guess the ABS rings have to come off. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome! I always loved my tacoma when I had it. Had to sell it when I went overseas.

Yes you can run without them technically since there isn't anything they are used for but unless I am mistaken there is a seal that sits up against the abs ring. I think it would be difficult to get the seal placed correctly without the abs ring. A picture of course would be worth 10000 words.....but you would have to crack open your axle again.

I was looking at building an elocker axle for my non abs 4runner so I had the same question. I ended up just modifying my axle to accept the elocker.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

The rings are press fitted on along with some spacers, seals then the bearing. I've replaced my inner and outer rear axle seals along with the rear bearings. I have ABS so everything is in place.

What I don't know is if the rings are part of what holds everything together. With the axle bolted onto the tube I guess the bearing has no where to go. There are write ups online on how to remove everything. I remember a couple guys using a piece of pipe and slamming the end of the axle instead of using a press. This way the parts were removed instead of having to be cut. If you go that way you can reuse the rings if they are necessary.

I think I picked up this diagram when I was doing my axle work.

If you have an ABS ring I think you'll have the spacers shown in the little diagram at the bottom. I don't have a parts layout for the numbers but you can look them up online for a description.

Here you can see the spacers and that the bearing is countersunk and doesn't rest on anything. So to answer your question, I dunno. If it were me I'd probably try to remove them and re-install just for piece of mind.

That's better than my answer. I was looking at one in a salvage yard when I decided to modify my housing
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Here is my little write up of my experience.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...-axle-bearings

After reading through it, it appears that my videos were really helpful. Fast forward to today and it looks like they are offline now. I'll try to find the link and update them.

Thanks for all the help guys. Here is what (I think) I have determined. After reading the replies I went back and examined the placement of the spacer next to the ring is actually serving a purpose as the contact surface for the oil seal that is inside the axle tube. Mine has a distinct 'clean' contact point where it rests within the seal. The jpeg posted by 4x4mike also shows it. So obviously from that perspective it has to stay.

Here's my issue. The factory manual says the abs ring and spacer are not supposed to be reused. OTOH, I don't get any benefit from having that abs ring in ther and I know a couple of them is going to set me back at least a couple of hundred bucks, especially after labor costs of pressing everything on and off. So here's my couple of questions. Has anyone reused the parts?

The more important question is does any have a old abs ring and spacer that they could use to measure the width of the abs ring vs. the width of the spacer? Because if they're pretty much the same width, I was thinking of having the machine shop just press in two spacers side by side. This is assuming that the spacers are sold separately and that they're probably a lot cheaper.
    Any input on these questions would be appreciated

I figured you'd need them for that seal.

If you look at my link you can see the parts list for two bearings to be replaced. I bought my Toyota parts through my local Carquest. It was nice to just pay one person, get the parts and have the labor done without paying dealer costs. I was at Carquest because they have a full machine shop. Just the ABS rings, especially Napa or the like, won't be very much. I'd say the dealer part was less than $15/per.

I'll try to find a link to a bearing replacement where they use a pipe to extract things. Basically they use the weight and inertia of the backing plate and brakes to push the press fit pieces off of the axle. The press fit pieces have an OD smaller than that of the surface they rest on. As such they can crack or break but it might be worth a shot. I had read about guys reusing them but I wanted new. If they have to be cut off you need new ones anyway.

I would say you could press them off and then press them back on but a lot of shops will cut them off when removing them.

Price on those abs rings are around 50 something apiece. Marlin crawler has good prices on rebuild kits for rear axles and so does low range offroad.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I couldn't find what I was looking for but basically you need the right tools to do the job. I'd source the parts and while that's going on find someone to do the labor. 4x4wire has a decent write up but it's for an older tacoma. It does however share some insightful info. It also mentions the need to cut most of the old stuff off. Even if they do come off they are buggered up real good.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

I've never used Rock Auto but I know many do. I've heard good and bad but it give an idea of prices. Of course, look up your year and model. it might be worth while to stop into an auto parts counter.

ABS ring: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10176

Bearings and spacers: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1672

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast