Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear axle bearings

Rear axle bearings

I've got another leak at the rear axle seal and I'm wondering if I need a bearing. The seal is about a year old to the week. I've checked the breather and it works and is clean so I wonder if the bearing is out. I guess it could be the seal but like I said, it's about a year old. I jacked up the rear axle and bear hugged the rear wheel in an attempt to feel any bearing play. The parking break was off and the transmission in first gear. Now the wheel will "roll" forward and back and what seems like a little up and down but no left to right. I guess is what I'm trying to say is that the end of the axle shaft at the wheel seems tight and no real play.

All I really did was clean up everything and put it back together. This is a super busy month for me so I'll have to find time after work one of these days to dig into this thing.

Question for those that have been envolved with a bearing replacement. How much play was there in the bearing? Does what I have seem normal. I've got 104K on the clock and I assume the bearings are from the factory. For those that have replaced the bearing did you do this at home? I'm wondering if I can use a HF press (not that I have one but maybe I can talk the wife into letting me make the 'investment' if I can do it myself).

Any suggestions at this point would be helpful, thanks.

Re: Rear axle bearings

After reading some posts here it seems that there can be some clunking noise when the vehicle is rocked back and forth. I don't have this if it makes any difference. Toyota is closed today so I might head down to Napa. Man this was one of my only rest days for the month.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the Napa inner seals? I just want to avoid more trips than necessary.

Ok so the bearings need replacement. I pulled both shafts and both have equal unwanted play. It's Sunday so only the auto parts stores are open but I lucked out at my local Carquest. The woman behind the counter suprised the hell out of me with her knowledge even before punching things into the computer. She knew what I needed and told me she hook me up with the labor. Not free but a discounted price. She had most of the parts in stock but to make sure she is going to order everything and it'll be in her store tomorrow by 8. She asked me if I wanted OEM parts and I asked her what she ment by that, she said from Toyota. I said sure and asked her for prices. Napa wanted $96 for a bearing (timken) and she can get the Toyota (SKF or NSF I forget) for $56.

So for those who have done this please check my parts list.
    Bearing (2)
    inner seal (2)
    Outer seal (2)
    o ring (2)
    abs ring (2)
    spacer (4)
    Brake fluid
    Gear oil
    loctite

The machine shop guy has tomorrow off so I'll stop in tomorrow after work to drop my stuff off so he has it for Tuesday morning. It'll also give me a second chance to make sure all the parts are there and ready to go.

This whole thing is a bummer but I guess it needs to be done and at least I'm getting somewhat of a deal and I know what I'm in for since I've already done the inner seals.

Pictures and some video for future reference.

Tell tale signs

Sloppy McSlops

Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Makes me wish that I would have checked mine like that when I had mine pulled out last time. DOH!

I always feel lucky when I get a decent person behind the counter too!
    My signature

If you read my axle seal posts from last year you'll see that it started with the right side seal leaking at 91,000 miles. I read Bob's write up and went to work. At 92,140 miles the left side seal went. I never really checked the bearings because there wasn't any noticeable play. Now at 104,000 miles the right has gone again. The breather was fine and it looks to have just started leaking so I checked the bearings. Maybe those new seals were enough to keep everything together until now.

I was thinking about getting a press but then I'd have to find a place for it and probably buy a bearing separator or 2. Plus I wouldn't really know what I was doing. I'd just assume and go to town.

Hopefully this will fix everything and I'll have the 4Runner up and going for my trip this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike

Hopefully this will fix everything and I'll have the 4Runner up and going for my trip this weekend.
    Good write-up, it looks like this is a common repair for 3rd gens and it's always nice to have more information on the matter.

Don't sweat getting this done before the weekend; my 4runner is just sitting here, take it.

Thanks Ken. I'll know in about 30 hours how it's all going to play out. Part of my weekend trip envolves sleeping in the back of the 4Runner. I could return your 4runner clean and gased up but I don't think you want the interior "gased up" as well. Adam was talking about going up to Markleeville together anyways so I might not be driving up there anyway.

Im in the same boat atm with my T100, but I had the bearing replace, the seals and the whole axle as it bent. Now its leaking again..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Definitely a common problem, I just replaced my axle seal last week. I'm glad you posted the videos, they definitely help for a future diagnosis!
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA&#39;s ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi&#39;s ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT&#39;s ~ LC Rims

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast