Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snorkel for $140?

Snorkel for $140?

I just saw this on t4r the other day. That forum is 99% garbage but by shear numbers they hit the mark every once and awhile lol.
    http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-3rd-gens.html

cheapest I could find is $135 with free shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111529771783?lpid=82

You can see the fit is not perfect, but nor has been the fit of the custom ones I've seen over the last 6 years. Ive read in the past that these cheap ones are prone to UV fading so figure in a $3 can of spray paint down the road. It dosnt address the concerns of breaking it on a rock due to the outside routing, but at least its not $400 if you do shatter it.

I still like the idea of the active dust filters and the bowls, but when I looked into mounting one on the hood there was a space problem for one large enough to feed the 3.4 at open throttle. This would work to get a fancy topspin up high enough to clear.

I like it! It is not as nice as the Safari, but if it gets the job done, it wins in my book. Just about anything looks better than black ABS DVW pipe...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

its tempting...I still dont have a fix for my fender wells after the hacking. my intake is sucking straight from the wheel well and I clog filters at three times the rate I'd figure. It also looks like it would fit on whats left of my fender.

That was my reason for buying my snorkel. I cut out my plastic liners when I first got my 4runner and was ruining air filters at an alarming pace.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It is tempting definitely. I would have to do many things to make it work though. I do have an air box sitting on a shelf. I think I need more side jobs lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Something to look into, I know Safari is about to release the ones for the 3rd gen 4Runners but i'm not sure the price is going to be much better then an ARB

Safari makes mine (but I think ARB sells them in the USA). I wonder if TJM will release one so long after the 3rd gen was made.

Its kinda foolish at this late in the game to sell the 3rd gen one. No one has been sitting on the fence because they had to source a Tacoma intake boot. When you are in the $400 dollar range for a luxury item that dosnt exactly bolt on, then the extra price and hassle of the boot wont be a turn off.

I'm still contemplating this. Last thoughts I had on fixing my intake were to to take it up over the cab anyhow for extra dust avoidance and flexibility with pre-cleaners. I can make one for cheaper, but...lol I may wait for ever to get that motivated and lets face it, I make some pretty ghetto stuff haha.

You don't have the taco tube? Mine had it, the 97 in the junkyard had it.

it might be. I have a tight elbow exiting into the wheel well and then a tube taking the intake 3/4 back to the firewall.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast