I sure don't like the direction Toyota is headed with their trucks and SUVs, but I sure like the direction Ford is headed.

"It has a solid rear axle, locking transfer case with a low range, Terrain Management System has settings for street, sand, and snow, as well as throttle responses paired to torque vectoring and of course hill control and even an electric locking rear diff. Fitted with the same 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbo-assisted four-cylinder used in the Ford Fusion, it will also be made available with a 3.2-liter five-cylinder turbo diesel. The diesel will be offered with a real six-speed manual transmission or the current six-speed automatic transmission used in the F-150 truck. At roughly the size of the Explorer, it is a good size for proper off-road pursuits. It even appears to have good approach and departure angles."

First of all, it's not hideously ugly, and in fact, I think it looks both rugged and refined. Solid rear axle, locking diff, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, lots of good things in there. Of course Ford may not import it, but I think it's the only modern SUV that offers any appeal to me whatsoever over what I currently have.

It kills me that an "American company" like Ford will make this for the rest of the world, but not us. And I get why, because American consumers want other things. (Like gaping shark-mouth front ends, apparently.) I'm not your typical consumer.