Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on suspension, 98 4Runner

I still can't believe it was so hard for you, I have multiple sets of arms, I know I had two sets of 97' and I feel like I have a 99' set as well, I will have to look and see if the part numbers on the newer ones match.

Mine were done maybe 5 minutes a side, just for reference mine is a 97' without the collar I guess.

I def think the rear link bushing are a must do for anyone, just due to time and how old a 3rd gen is now, even if it has low miles and has sat a while those bushing are going to be worn, another bushing to replace is the bottom of the front struts where it connects to the lower control arms, they tend to wear fast and separate from the bottom due to gravity in and of itself, The original struts were shot, the tundras were still good, but the adjustable needed them, which I found out happen to be the same bushing as the stock struts.

I never checked the sway bar bushing, guess I should, I might be making a call to Sonoran myself!

Krypt, its not to hard to make them, I made a set of adjustable lowers and just beefed the upper ones

I think if I had the proper slug to press out the old bushings, it would have been easier. The socket I had was maybe .063 too small.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I can say for sure the joints won't last as long. BUT, they are easily rebuildable.

I tracked down the bushings for the panhard bar from sonoran steel. I believe that's the last of it!
    I did a bit of research and you were more than right about longevity but I did find these which I believe are also rebuildable....but even if they aren't the smaller sizes are quite reasonable. The 1.25 is the largest they carry. Just thought it might be interesting to see fully adjustable links with the stability and reliability of rubber bushings.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage...Male,9387.html
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1966.html

here are the ends I used on one side of my lower links when I rebuilt them.
    they are holding up pretty well so far.

Ordered and replaced the bushings in the Sonoran Steel Panhard bar. I am not pleased with the design in the least, but it is done and should serve me at least another 9 years.

For those wondering, the bushings are ~$16 shipped to your door. Not bad.

I ordered the wrong washers from McMaster, so I ended up making my own out of 1/8" hot rolled bar, cut in 2" squares with 9/16" holes drilled in them. Waiting for paint to dry so I can install them tomorrow morning and button up the rear end.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Hey if it works....it works. I hope you found your gremlin man.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Yeah. From an engineering standpoint, it makes me cringe. From a garage, git er done, standpoint, it still makes me uneasy.

Going out to put shocks on now. I will probably fit the front sway bar and endlinks too.

Rear end is finished! It actually feels connected to the vehicle again, not this vague, distant thing clunking around.

Here's a tip for getting those rear shocks in:

It will take (7) 8" zip ties to do (one on each end, 5 for the band. If you are good, you can reuse 4 of those for the next shock. Bolt up the bottom, then cut and aim the shaft to the whole as it expands.

I also fitted my front sway bar again. I will get pictures of the adjustable links when I pull the front apart later, but needless to say, the truck rides so much better with it on.

I will start pulling the front end apart tomorrow night after work.

Glad to see progress, my parts collection is growing and I have set myself a goal for My29th, as I need to be on the road to North Caroline to catch a Train so to speak.

DO you by any chance have a part number on those bushings from sonoran or do they have a number on them that we can research?

Send him an email. I think they might have had a number but I don't think I even took pics.

Just pulled the wheels and stopping for dinner. Goal is to get skids off, calipers hung from something not the UCA, and get the LCA/knuckle and UCA/knuckle separated. Tomorrow I hope to get the knuckles stripped down and the gussets welded on. Thursday maybe reassembly, otherwise this weekend.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast