Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LBJs and front end maintenance time

LBJs and front end maintenance time

The old girl is still on the original front end and it's time to get some new lower ball joints under her. So what all should I replace while I'm in there?

My list includes:
    Inner Tie Rod Ends
    Outer Tie Rod Ends
    Lower Ball Joints w/new nuts

How about steering rack bushings? I seem to remember hearing someone say to leave the steering rack alone unless it's giving you problems, which mine is not.

Mileage is 134k.

When I did my LBJ's I did my outer tie rods at the same time. I was going to keep them but I wasn't able to remove them from the knuckle without destroying them. In the end the LBJ replacement is a breeze when you replace the OTE at the same time.

From what I've read the inner ones should not be messed with unless they need it.

Same with the steering rack bushings. I have the kit to replace mine but they've been sitting in the box they shipped in for close to 4 years.

I suppose you can replace the LBJ nut and I would if it has rock rash. You do want to replace the 4 (X2) bolts though.

It took me less than an hour per side, while on leave from back surgery.

I would replace:

Upper Ball Joint
    Lower Ball Joint
    Lower Ball Joint bolts
    Outer TRE
    Rack boots if they need it
    Rack Bushings
    Brake Lines

The BJs (lol) should be replaced with Toyota OEM, as well as the BJ bolts. TRE are OK aftermarket, along with the boots if you need them. Bushings are only aftermarket. Take a look at the soft brake lines. They might be getting pretty old at this point.

That's it unless you have some other issue like the vagueness and slop I have, then you will have to start looking at bushings.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Honestly, if you are going to be in there I would do Sean's list
    So:
    Upper Ball Joint
    Lower Ball Joint
    Lower Ball Joint bolts
    Outer TRE
    Rack boots
    Rack Bushings
    Brake Lines
    and I would add Inner TRE

They actually are not that difficult to do in the Toyota Trucks.

Being in Cali you should be good, but I would check your lower control arm eccentrics to make sure they move freely, if not I would look into getting new donor arms and get some new bushing in them and some new eccentrics.

I prefer Toyota OEM parts, I have been doing aftermarket, at at this point I have replaced them enough time to warrant the cost of just getting OEM off the get go....

Start of the shopping list.

4331039016 - Upper ball joint 4WD Left - $34.01
    4331039016 - Upper ball joint 4WD Right - $34.01
    4332439015 - Upper ball joint dust cap 4WD Left - $7.24
    4332439015 - Upper ball joint dust cap 4WD Right - $7.24
    9052039180 - Upper ball joint snap ring 4WD Left - $2.22
    9052039180 - Upper ball joint snap ring 4WD Right - $2.22

4334039465 - LOWER BALL JOINT 4-Runner; Left - $87.71
    4333039585 - LOWER BALL JOINT 4-Runner; Right - $87.71
    90171A0005 - Lower ball joint castle nut 4WD Left - $2.88
    90171A0005 - Lower ball joint castle nut 4WD Right - $2.88

9094702862 - Brake hose, 4WD Left - $63.24
    9094702862 - Brake hose, 4WD Right - $63.24

4550339075 - Inner tie rod Left - $126.71
    4550339075 - Inner tie rod Right - $126.71
    4504739215 - Outer tie rod Left - $47.70
    4504639335 - Outer tie rod Right - $47.70

Rack boots if they need it
    Rack Bushings

What is the "upper ball joint wire" and "upper ball joint snap ring" and are they needed? And what do we know about ball joint dust seals?

Those inner tie rods are pricey.

When I got mine, they came as a kit. I'll look up the numbers tomorrow.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 05-05-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The LBJ's came with a castle nut and cotter pin. The rack bushings can be checked with the front end off the ground and pounding on your tire. Chances are they are getting mushy and allowing the rack to move more then you'd like. The aftermarket ones really helped me out at 195k miles.

the LBJ metal protectors might be worth while for you. I think they were a extra $15 per side, but probably worth it if you are going for a long term install.

Thanks guys.

Troy, did you use the Energy Suspension rack bushings?

Yes, they were cheap and I figured they would last a long time being poly. So far so good...I think I remember having to drill out one of the supplied bushings. Not much of a hassle but it wasnt plug and play for my 96

Late last year I "refreshed" the front end on my T4R using Toyota LBJs, bolts, and outer tie rod ends.

The upper ball joints looked fine, and I haven't heard of any problems with them. My inner TREs had no play so I did not replace them. I replaced my steering rack bushings several years ago and they are still in good shape. Since we both have CA trucks the brake lines should last a good long time, I would just eyeball them to make sure there is no damage.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast