I am helping a friend pick out an overlanding vehicle and one of his concerns was how it would handle all the weight he planned to throw on it. My first thought was to compare the payload capacity of a proven/popular expedition rig like a Land Cruiser FZJ80 or 100-series to see how it compared with my 3rd gen 4Runner. What I found was unexpected (in order of increasing payload):

--Platform----Payload-----Cargo Volume
4th Gen 4R --- 1285 lbs - (75.1 cuft)
Lexus GX470 - 1329 lbs - (77.5 cuft)
100-series LC - 1500 lbs - (90.8 cuft)
80-series LC -- 1765 lbs - (97.0 cuft)
3rd gen 4R --- 1810 lbs - (80.0 cuft)

3rd gen 4Runner had the highest payload capacity, and possibly even more surprising, it had a higher cargo volume (rear volume with seats up) than the 4th gen/GX470. (A GX470 is wider and taller than a 3rd gen, but the cargo area is shorter.)

To compare to some non-Toyota products, a Jeep Wrangler 4 door is rated at a paltry 990 lb payload, so a couple of fat chicks (or guys, just sayin') and a cooler of Natty Ice and you're over the limit. A 1/2T Tahoe is rated at only 1400 lbs.

My friend wants a rig smaller than a LC, so I was thinking the specs alone would show the GX to have a far more favorable load carrying capacity, however it actually has less. Payload is based on Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) minus curb weight. As the curb weights of the newer vehicles goes up, the ability to carry weight AND STAY WITHIN THE MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATION is going down.

All specs pulled from the same source: Edmunds.com. Just thought it was interesting, as I have never seen anyone make these comparisons.