Thread: Battery Drain

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Battery Drain

Hey All --

I'm having an issue with my battery holding a charge. It will run and drive fine, it's just if I let it sit for ~1hour the battery will be dead. When I turn it off there's a clicking noise under the hood unless I disconnect the battery.

I am curious to know if it could be from the little diagnostic box being poorly grounded? I had the bolt head snap on that box when I was doing my plugs and wires, and considered myself lucky that I had an bolt with proper thread /pitch/etc lying around (it was from a Husky wrench set; they used them to keep the packaging closed. However, that bolt was a black coated deal and I'm wondering if it could be an issue.

Timing wise, I also installed a new stereo around this time frame. I don't think it's from the radio install because the battery draining wasn't an issue right away... which is making me wonder if that bolt getting rusty is the issue.

Here's a picture of the bolt I'm talking about:

Thanks for any help. Luckily the 4Runner is no longer my daily or I'd be a little more screwed. This has been an issue for about a year now, I just never think to fix it since I rarely need to drive it.
    Last edited by fenrisx; 06-10-2018 at 05:29 PM.