Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e-locker wiring redux and repairing breather

e-locker wiring redux and repairing breather

Ok, I may look dumb but at least I have some common sense!

So to start off the three day weekend, I decided to finish the other wiring project. Back in 2013-ish, my time was completely occupied by this little 1976 BMW 2002 and so the 4runner sat in the sun in my apartment complex parking lot. The odd thing though was that while the battery was new, the 4runner had a parasitic leak. I tried everything under the sun to find it and eventually after much frustration, I tore out every bit of aftermarket wiring I had and started all over. It was a bitch of a task which included resoldering some connections and grounding everything again, but the leak was gone.

So fast forward to tonight: nervously I grabbed my socket set and removed the rear driver's side seat to see if I had completely removed the e-locker harness that I painstakingly wired and soldered together. I pulled the carpet back...and lo and behold I had saved my wiring harness! I tucked all that wiring (sans the aftermarket e-locker switch which I lost) under the seat.

I then lowered and removed the spare tire and started playing auto mechanic Twister to clip off the dual harnesses into the locker unit. All looked fine until I pulled the wiring through. It looks like either I forgot to secure the harness (the side closest to the locker) to the mount or the nut and bolt came off at some point. The end result is this almost melted in half breather tube. It looks like the blown up T1000's from Terminator 2 when Arnold rode the big factory cog up and shot his M72 grenade launcher. Yeah you remember the scene.

Anyways, questions for you guys who extended your breather tubes: how did you do it, what did you use to extend it, and did you cut off the check valve thing at the end to do it? Oh, where did you route it to?

So to be 100% sure about how and what wire colors I wire to the OEM harness, I unravelled ALL that black tape just to make sure I used the same color throughout for each wire as I have a penchant to sometimes cobble wires of different color. But not this time as I remembered that I spent way too much money buying the wires for this project. But like I said, I had to verify nonetheless. Not to mention I used the color RED for two wires that were soldered to two different color OEM wires. Not a good move, but I recall I ran out of wire of a different color and I had to make sure these two wires were connected to.

Which leads me to this and my contribution to this thread: a wiring template with clear, easy to understand pics. Hope someone gets some use out of it.

So anyways, tomorrow's going to be an interesting day. For starters, I've decided to wire in the OEM ECU and OEM Diff locker switch I acquired on eBay many moons ago. If it doesn't work, I'll install the CJK Off Road harness with a safety switch.

Anyways if anyone has advice on repairing the breather tube, I'm all ears.

Pics attached of melted breather tube
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well it seems I'm talking to myself lol.

So I spent a good hour combined removing all the remaining electrical tape with some Goo Gone and then finished it off with some Hoppe's gun cleaning fluid. That stuff does wonders getting off a lot of stuff esp grime on the metal brackets. Wires cleaned, I took one more look at my wire colors to the stock wires (and pin assignments) and one pass at re-wrapping the wires again w/ electrical tape. I'll reinforce some section where there's a lot of soldered wire, but for now I consider the harness part 95% complete.

One thing I wanted to do was to verify the harness plug part numbers after I cleaned the housings for both. When I got to my desk I examined something that I completely overlooked and/or ignored: the white/black wire on the turn signal harness looked like it got stretched and the wire was exposed. So exposed in fact that it was corroded and holding on by a few wire threads. So after about 1 - 2 hours searching the internet for a how to, I got the courage to do it myself. Now I tell ya, I was nervous about breaking those fine little plastic parts but after doing so, it's not that bad.

Through my research I found a very awesome little company named Ballenger Motorsports (bmotorsports.com) that sells the little wire terminals, the rubber plugs, and even the entire plug w/ pigtails for much cheaper than the dealership would charge. For example one of those little silver wire terminals that goes inside the harness plug on just about every online Toyota shop runs about $7.25 ish. This site is about $0.29 per. Yeah, that's not a typo.

Anyways it's gonna be another weekend or so before the locker w/ the stock ECU and switch are operational. And yes, the likelihood of using it within my life time will probably be once or twice

Oh one more thing re: breather tube. Since I had to cut off the burnt ends anyways, I just looked at the parts and how its constructed . Literally its a 1/4" plastic tube sheathed in rubber foam type materials. Go to HD, Lowes, or Ace and I'm sure you'll get something like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good find on those terminals!

What melted your breather? Did it fall on the exhaust? I have mine tucked up to the driver's side spring/shock mount, and have had no problems.

Also, unrelated but I saw you post at some point but cannot find it that your power steering is leaking. I used ATP205 https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re.../dp/B000NVW1LM and it has stopped the leak in my 4Runner.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Good find on those terminals!

What melted your breather? Did it fall on the exhaust? I have mine tucked up to the driver's side spring/shock mount, and have had no problems.

Also, unrelated but I saw you post at some point but cannot find it that your power steering is leaking. I used ATP205 https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re.../dp/B000NVW1LM and it has stopped the leak in my 4Runner.
    Yup, it was leaning against the exhaust at some point. I'm going to have to find some replacement hose, the plastic inner one. Good idea on running it up the shock mount.

Oh thanks re: P/S leak product. I'm still going to run the dye test since I bought all that stuff, but will go with your suggestion. I don't want to wrench on that system since I just paid for that work (unless it's something severe).

My rack is leaking at each end, this has at the very least slowed it down to be unnoticeable, if not stopped it all together. A bunch of LC guys swear by it.

Should I send you some tubing? lol!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Bob, I try to check the site every day, you are not alone! lol

For the breather, when I had it, I plumbed it with my extended diff breather that runs up to the gas door.
    I just sip tied them together.

As for the wires, mine fell on the exhaust when I first did the frame swap but somehow survived enough to transfer over and still work.
    I'd be inclined to redo all the wiring I have in the brown 4Runner if I was keeping, but now I just don't care so much.

I have the FSM in book form, I am sure you have it online, if not I can dig it out and get some pictures for you for the locker.
    I did my set up the same way using the factory ECU and button, I never got around to wiring in the dash light though.

If you need anything additional just give me a heads up.

And again, great find on the terminals!

Sean,

I bought that p/s stuff last night via Amazon. Tomorrow I plan to put that dye in and see what's up. Hopefully its a little seal leak and nothing serious! Same w/ the oil leak too.

Tubing: I'll let you know, thanks!

Also I do have the FSM book as well. I have a good understanding of the wiring now, but I'm waiting for those terminals so I can wire up the OEM switch per FSM manual as I don't want to tap the wire from the harness behind the instrument cluster.

I check the site nearly everyday but was out of town for a 4 day weekend. Coming home to all this tech is awesome.

As for the breather tube, I never extended mine. IIRC it pointed straight up like a little antenna and the wires mounted to a short metal arm. All of this occurred on the driver side of the driveshaft while the exhaust is on the other side of the vehicle. If I were you I'd just cut out the bad part and stick the cap back on. If you've got some tube hiding out in the garage maybe slip a length over it and call it good.

I tapped the RR Diff lock light in the cluster with no problem. It was the last step in my e-locker install and was quite easy. There is a guy from Sacramento on t4R.org who just did a write up and video with Timmy the Toolman on YT that followed my instructions. He bought the special little spade connectors. I used no connector but rather tinned the end of the wire and stuck it in the contact. It was a great hold and I never had a problem with it.

I may have given my e-locker binder to the new owner of the 3rd gen but let me know if you need info. I believe I took pictures of vital pages but also have a lot of pictures from that work.

I think I might still have some of the connectors, I will look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast