Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: e-locker wiring redux and repairing breather

I used factory ecu, switch and I tapped the dash. My RR DIFF light never blinked like factory but it could have been because I didn't connect every wire the ECU had coming out of it. I would push the button, no light, but when I heard the e locker engage the light would illuminate simultaneously. I don't remember if it would engage if the key was in the accessory mode but I guess it depends on where you're getting your power.

Did you try the screwdriver method to get the locker turned over?

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check the FSM for the troubleshooting procedure, but I believe that light should momentarily blink on like the ABS light does when you first fire up the engine.

Screwdriver method: not yet, but probably won't do it as I've moved on from the locker work. Valve cover is off now so doing that next. I'll revisit the locker work after I get the power steering lines on.

To think, I thought the locker was going to be the easiest part!

Bob,

Sorry I have been MIA from the Internets, I just went out and jumped in my 00' Limited that is factory equipped.
    The RR DIFF LOCK light does illuminate for a few seconds to indicate the module has done a self test.

When pressing the button to engage, when it is in the process if the locker has not lock it will flash on the dash till it does lock.

I did not check to see if I can get engagement to work with key on engine off, I will try to get in there tomorrow and do such for you.

What is your source of power for the module?

Avi,

Thanks again for the reply and the response on the RR DIFF light illuminating a few seconds. I'm still waiting for that single tiny terminal pin (the most expensive terminal per dollar I've ever paid!) from Conicelli Toyota along w/ the cam plugs. Once I wire that terminal up, I'll have an idea if I wired things correctly or not. Might have to follow those tedious procedures to test the ECU. I hope not!

Power source: I tapped the lower driver's side panel fuse box according to this diagram:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attach..._diagram-2.pdf

It appears that the ECU is getting its power from the 10A Fuse tap terminal (top right of diagram) that runs along the black/yellow wire, which then runs down to the male harness terminal pin #5.

Well this is the only thing that didn't go according to plan. When I fired up the 4Runner today after doing the p/s line work and the engine work, I got a check engine light. So I only drove a few blocks before getting the heebs and headed back to the garage. I completed the burping of the p/s lines and system and went on another drive. But before I did that, I unhooked the power fuse tap lines that was powering the locker ECU. No more check engine light. Also my gauge cluster lights are half lit on either ends. WTF. I think either I must've not plugged in the harnesses perfectly or the bulbs aren't screwed in tight. Time to fix it now.

EDIT: I think I mucked up the brown harness wires or something like that. The left side works now, but I don't know why. I replugged it back the left side white harness (left to right, it's white, blue, and brown) and now the white works. I'm going to check the bulbs if I have time tonight to see maybe it's a bulb issue. But my feeling is either I handled the brown harness too much, screwed up those conductor lines somehow, or maybe there's a weird ground that I accidentally mucked up.

Anyone had this same problem?

Double check your ground there.
    I have yanked on the harness pretty good and haven't had ill results.
    I tried to wire the Diff light on my brown truck through the cluster but ended up just putting a separate light on the dash.

I am trying to remember the write up I saw where I think an extra ground had to be added but I am not sure.

I'll pull my IP tomorrow and show where I tapped for the light.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123