Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power steering return and pressure line replacement

(WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE ALERT)

Faaaaawk. It's leaking again. In the same area as last time. I took a bunch of pics and sent it to the mechanic. We're guessing it might be the pressure line. I am going to buy a pressure washer and f'g go to f'g town on the underside and specifically in the area of leakage.

To make matters worse, the oil dripping is now a bona fide leak. I checked my past work on the valve cover gaskets and the cam plugs + half moons and the areas are not leaking oil. So my guess is it must be the rear main seal.

The s@#t is everywhere and now mixed with even more oil. Ugggh. Anyways this is a crappy but good excuse to buy that pressure washer that I've been holding off on. So on the way back from home, I bought one.. So the plan is to clean everything out w/ some cleaner (including engine bay and underside of hood) and then do some dye testing once again.

Same place? You replaced the hoses/fittings at that location right? What gives?

So the problem I had was on the non-pressure side line that connects to the steering rack. The hose was too long so that was trimmed by Lance's mechanic down in LA. I took a look and he cut the hose a bit short by about 1.5" (hose end is not fully seated to the end of the fitting), but it's still holding on enough. There appears to be some weeping from that non-pressure side, but it could be the high pressure side dripping too and the fluid being sprayed everywhere.

As for the oil, I'm almost positive its the rear main seal.

I'm dropping my truck off on Saturday morning. Maybe even tomorrow if I can work from home

Bummer man, hopefully everything gets sorted and its a easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Bummer man, hopefully everything gets sorted and its a easy fix.
    It's the rack. My rotors and pads need to be replaced too. I'm going to go all Toyota OEM on this one.

Bummer about the rack. Looking forward to your writeup about it though. I doubt my 4runner will make it to the point when I need a new rack, just need it to last another 2 years.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

No write up on this one. I'm paying a shop a very reasonable rate (mom's friend's shop) to do this one plus replacing the rotors and brake pads.

Gents,

So the repair are finally done. One thing that concerns me was when I looked into the hood for this oil pressure plug that came loose, I saw a bolt which was placed on top of the crossmember and not attached to somewhere it should be! I discovered this at home last night. So this T-day week vacation I'll have to hunt down where said bolt should be bolted into.

My rotors were almost gone and the brake pads even worse. He showed me a pic of the brake pad and yes oh yes were they worn down to less than a 1/4"! Those downhills during the June Lake trip must've done it

Anyways I asked the mech to pack up the steering rack. I'm gonna clean it off w/ some cleaner and my new pressure washer. I'm gonna clean off the OEM power steering pump too. I have plans to rebuild the PS pump as I already bought the rebuild kit for it...one of these days. As for the steering rack, i probably won't rebuild it but I'd be curious to take it apart to understand how it's constructed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12