Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Re: Swapping a 1UZFE (Lexus 4.0 V8) into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (LONG)

Only 10 more years and I can get "antique" plates.

David - if I can ever get this first one done and finish my garage (long story), I'll be able to do these more rapidly (and will have all the parts to do the swap available as a kit (that's the long term plan anyway)
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Only 10 more years and I can get "antique" plates.

David - if I can ever get this first one done and finish my garage (long story), I'll be able to do these more rapidly (and will have all the parts to do the swap available as a kit (that's the long term plan anyway)
    well that might be good news then. its going to be a few years minimum before i undertake such a project so take your time! i have learned a lot from this thread though, good work!
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

I have my eye on a friend's 2000 SR5 5 spd. When it dies, I want to get it and do a 1UZ manual swap.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack

Mike, I haven't kept up with this lately, but is there anybody else besides Dellows or CRS that offer a bellhousing for a munual swap yet? Or is there some other way you plan on going about this possible manual swap? Info please! Very interested.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

There's two ways to go about this.

#1 - Dellows/CRS Bellhousing, custom flywheel/starter gear, clutch, etc.
    #2 - Adapter ring to reuse 1UZ bellhousing (modified to accept clutch fork), custom flywheel (already available in US), and clutch (off the shelf). This is for a R154, but I'm assuming (and need to verify) that all the R series BH's have the same pattern at the trans - so R150 and R151F should work with this setup.

Or someday...
    #3 - I buy a Dellows or CRS kit and knock it off stateside (or outsource it to China for that matter)

Awesome! I hadn't heard about option 2 before, so that sounds fairly viable. I don't really know anything about the assembly of the maunual trans, and I'm curious if the input shaft is long enough with the addition of an adapter ring. I'll have to do some research on lextreme. I've heard about people using an adapter ring with the V160 trans, but not the R series trans. Interesting stuff.

Option 3 sounds great too, and if you do decided to make some bellhousings in the future,I may be interested.

Thanks!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Option 2 is pretty new. The difference in shaft length on the auto vs the R150/R151F lends itself to a 40mm adapter ring between the BH and the trans.

Option 3 - I've got to find a casting company and see if recreating these is even cost effective here and what sort of minimums I'm looking at.

Well this is cool! Thanks for the great info Mike.

Well - here's the issue...

The guy who was letting me work in this building has sold it. I have to be out in 3 weeks. Guess that will light a fire under my ass...

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Well - here's the issue...

The guy who was letting me work in this building has sold it. I have to be out in 3 weeks. Guess that will light a fire under my ass...
    I would say it does!
    If I was closer I would lend a hand
    Finding another place to rent or are you going to shoot to get teh truck done in 3 weeks?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast