Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Power Brake Bleeder

Cheap Power Brake Bleeder

This entire writeup should be credited to GSGALLANT since he came up with it!

After searching the threads to find out that the motive power bleeder was the best method to flush my brake system, I started making calls to try to find a power bleeder locally. After many calls, I found no local suppliers, and wanted to avoid paying full price + shipping + exchange on Canadian Dollar for one from the US, so I decided to try and figure out a way to make a tool that would essentially do the same thing.

What I came up with works (in my opinion) as well as I would expect the power bleeder to work, and only cost me $15 (Canadian) to build. I started off by buying:

- One flexible plumbing reducing coupling (the large end is just under 2" in diameter and is made to fit over 1 1/2" PVC pipe, and the small end fits over the 3/4" end of the 1/2" to 3/4" metal elbow.)
    - One 1/2" to 3/4" metal elbow.
    - One 1/2" metal nipple.
    - One 1/4" to 1/2" metal reducing coupling.
    - One 1/4" male quick connect fitting.
    - You also need a source of compressed air with a pressure guage and regulator.

See this link for some photos -> Brake Bleeder Adapter

I assembled them together as shown in the photo called "Adapter".
    The photo called "Reservoir" shows what the opening on my brake reservoir looks like.
    The photo called "Adapter on Reservoir" shows the adapter installed on the reservoir.

Once I had the adapter built, I removed the cap on the brake reservoir and used a turkey baster to remove as much of the old brake fluid as I could. I then topped up the reservoir (above the max line) with new fluid.

Next, I installed the adapter to the reservoir (See image in link above), and connected my air compressor quick connect fitting to the adapter. I adjusted the regulator to 10-15 psi, then cracked open the rear passenger brake bleeding fitting and let the fluid flow until new fluid came out. I closed the bleeder, and repeated the same on the rear driver's side brakes.

Once the rear brakes were done (bled a little over half a liter of fluid out), I removed the adapter from the brake reservoir and topped the reservoir up again (the level had dropped to approximately the MIN line). I re-installed the adapter, re-adjusted the air regulator to 10-15 psi, then bled the front brakes (passenger side then driver's side).

Once the front brakes were done (bled a little over 1/4 of a liter of fluid out), I removed the adapter from the brake reservoir and topped the reservoir up again (the level had dropped to halfway between the MIN and MAX lines). I then re-installed the reservoir cap and called it a day. The whole process took approximately 1.5 hours (including removing and re-installing wheels.) I used 1 liter of brake fluid.

Hope this helps you guys. I definitely recommed this method for flushing your brakes. The adapter mentioned above will fit the reservoir on 2001 and 2002 4Runners with hydraulic brake boosters. The fill port on reservoirs on systems with vacuum brake boosters may be different.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: Cheap Power Brake Bleeder

Great write up!
    Just have a quick question Jamie.
    You said you tried this and it worked for you.
    You have a 96 Runner with a vacuum brake booster.
    Did the adapter as shown above work as well or did you have to modify yours?

No, I haven't tried it yet, I need to make one for mine. It should work fine as long as you get a solid seal on the reservoir neck. When I get the parts and build one for my 1996 soon so I'll post up if I needed to modify the recipe at all. In principle this bleeder will work on any vehicle which has a reservoir you can pressurize.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

hmmm good idea but the only down fall is that of some people don't have compressed air but I can see how this would work, but I could come up with another idea that could make this work without compressed air.

And with the fitting instead of a elbow if you used a "T" you could theoretically put a resevoir on top to hold fluid that would be underpressure from the air and not have to worry about a top off.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    hmmm good idea but the only down fall is that of some people don't have compressed air but I can see how this would work, but I could come up with another idea that could make this work without compressed air.

And with the fitting instead of a elbow if you used a "T" you could theoretically put a reservoir on top to hold fluid that would be underpressure from the air and not have to worry about a top off.
    That's an interesting idea, but wouldn't that mean you'd over fill your reservoir, so taking the adaptor off would mean spilling all that extra fluid?&#160; Maybe I'm not seeing it right in my head

You could probably find a connector that would allow you to use a bike pump if you didn't have a compressor

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

If anyone has any improvements to the design they did in practice, go ahead and post em up for everyone to benefit. I'm just going for the basic function at first, but if I figure out anything slick to add on I'll be sure to post pics and a writeup if necessary.

i see this ending up in a wiki at some point.

ill have to check it out on the 98 i have when i do the brakes later this summer.

thanks for the tip!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So this is my first idea without the secondary resevoir which would rely on you making sure your brake resevoir was full after each bleed... now you'd have to make sure you had enough line to reach the entire vehicle for the bleed but I can't see why it wouldn't work...

Firebane, build it and give it a test run for us.

PS You might want to add your truck specs to your sig too.

heheh next week, I'm going on Vacation sorta heading your way.. to Winnipeg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast