Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tetanus lives....

Re: Tulsa's really slow 85 4runner resto/build

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    No problem man, glad to help (and mock).

One thing, looking at those pics, it looks like you re-used the stock u-bolts. While I have never experienced it personally, I have always been told that you need to replace them with new ones once you remove them because they get stretched and are not reliable to use again. If nothing else, it is a good excuse for u bolt flips.
    Good eye! I forgot to order new ones along with my springs, so I tossed the old ones back on for now. I'll order all new ones when I'm replacing the rear springs and swap then in then.
    Brian

Get some ball gussets too. That and rock rings is next on my list. I never bothered with rock rings since I never hit them...of course last trip out I mashed one and I am leaking from it now.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    Long term goal is to make sure I get a full exo and remember not to wear my skirt when following Intrepid down one of his trails

*note to self* get a bigger skirt....
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

I think this thread should be moved to the lamest builds ever forum.

oh wait, it's my thread. crap.

Anyway, it sat most of the year again, got going again on it this spring with some decent results. All of the frame is now painted and rust free, and the last 18" or so are well plated.

I'm a little worried about the shackle angle, but don't have all the bushings yet to fully install the springs and see if it flattens out once weighted,

I've managed a bunch of the little stuff with help from here, new fuel and brake lines installed, gas tank treated and ready to install (did the por-15 treatment on it)
    brake lines from marlin installed, ready to make the last connections once I drop the body back down.

So that last big job is to tackle the body work. If you scroll back up to the very first pic, that aluminum sheet riveted over a hole in the body aroung the gas tank filler. Figured we could do better,

Don't want to talk about how many hours i spent on such a little piece, but it fit pretty well so i got it welded in

look at all that grinding work i made for myself! but it tuned out pretty clean

Not perfect, but I'm really happy with it. Lots more to go as I try to get it ready to fire back up soon.

edit, oh and i cut out the rear crossmember, it was toast. Made a new one with a pair of 2x2x1/8th angle pieces, and a used tire carrier to keep my spare in the stock spot. And I replaced the front ubolts with new OME ones because intrepid told me too, and the stock steering hit the old bolts.
    Brian

man my camera is harsh, it not as bad as it looks in the pics.
    Brian

This was for sale in PA?
    Where the heck was I at the time?
    Sweet work man!

i remember this 4runner for sale. that rust would have scared me off too!

looking much better, keep it up.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    This was for sale in PA?
    Where the heck was I at the time?
    Sweet work man!
    Probably in junior high it seems like I have had it torn apart in my garage forever. 3 years this november.
    Thanks for the kind words both of you. My company got bought out and the vacation policy changed. As a result I have to take about 8 weeks off this year or I lose it, so that's given me some nice chunks of time to work on it. Now that the finish line for phase one is in sight I'm hoping I can keep up my momentum unlike in the past. The biggest danger is I just opened the pool up yesterday, once it gets hot out the choice on a saturday between sweating in the garage and drinking cold beer by the pool is a tough one.
    Brian

Yeah I wasn't even part of the Toyota world myself till Fall of 05.
    How hard was it to get the entire frame coated with POR-15 while the body was still on the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Yeah I wasn't even part of the Toyota world myself till Fall of 05.
    How hard was it to get the entire frame coated with POR-15 while the body was still on the frame?
    never ever ever again, made it 100 times harder than it would have been with the body off and engine out. Just didn't have the room to do it the easy way unfortunately.
    Brian

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast