Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tetanus lives....

Re: Tulsa's really slow 85 4runner resto/build

So, making some more headway. I want to get the stuff done on the body around the gas tank before I remount it, and I'd really like to get the tank back in so i can move it around. Anyway, here's some of the patchwork I've been doing on the wheel well,

and have both rear fenders cut out and ready to redo

Also, when i was working on the frame before, this is the setup I used to lift the body up off the frame

It looks scarier than it was
    Brian

I have a body list that I am looking to put on soon, I wonder if that will help make putting the POR-15 easier...
    I am in PA too So I am experiencing rust and its starting to get on my very last nerve....

Getting the body lifted up def. helps, I did temp lifts, front then back. Used scrap 4x4 blocks to get it a good ways up off the frame but the tops of the frame rails were still really tight. Even with the gas tank and exhaust etc out of my way there where lots of tough spots. If I had to do it over I would probably spend a little time and figure out a way to safely get the body another 4-8" up off the frame. It just took forever getting any spot clean that I couldn't get the grinder on. I don't envy you, PA is murder on old toyota's.
    Brian

Hence why I want to get out of this area...
    I HATE rust!

Looks good, you going to widen the fenders while you are there?
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    Looks good, you going to widen the fenders while you are there?
    opening them up just a little. The inner lip on the wheel well was rotten so I cut another 1/2" or so and started building a new lip out of the thicker sheet i have. Don't really need more room for tires at this point.
    Brian

OK, so I haven't taken any pics but I have been getting a little done here and there. I really need this driveable in the next couple weeks. So....

here's where I am on the drivers side

the one above shows the 18ga steel strip I bent to make the inner part of the wheel well lip. It really makes the whole thing solid

and another

I figured as long as I had to jack with the last foot or so I'd remove the drop along the bottom from the end to the rear wheel. Should make building a bumper a lot simpler.

and the passenger side is done!

not perfect, but at least it's rust free and strong, had to do all the way from the back corner to the rocker panel right where the door starts. Fun stuff.

sorry for the crappy pics, My wife took a couple in a hurry to send to my dad to check out. It's far from perfect but I think with a very thin layer of bondo it will look ok to anyone but the hard core toyota fans will notice. I simplified a couple small things just to make my life easier and openedup the wheel wells about a half inch just because they were rusted.
    Brian

Driving in two weeks?! Video proof of it driving or it didn't happen.

Nice work man.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Hey Heath, you shouldn't believe this, I don't believe it myself, but i'm done wuth rust removal stage. The body metal work is done, sunday is bondo and primer day. I kinda rushed thru the latest stage and it shows some. More pics tomorrow.
    Brian

Oh wow! Very, very, very cool. My '86 is just as bad as this, and I went around getting different opinions on fixing the rust. Was told is was nearly impossible, not worth the time, and just needed new body panels. Man, I'm telling you, this is inspiring work to me. I'm glad I found this. I'll be watching.....and will have to even load the pics to my photo doc's.

Again, way cool!
    &quot;All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you...&quot;

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast