Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Bumper Paint Job

Rear Bumper Paint Job

All of this is do to the thanks of me replacing my perfectly fine power steering pump.

I decided to do a little cleaning under the truck to try to get it ready for when I get the lift.

While I was under there I pulled my skid plate and did this too it. (But there is more so just scroll past the pictures if you get bored)

The Finished Product:

While I was doing this and looking under the truck,
    The amount of rust being found was disgraceful...

The worst spot it being on the bumpers, from letting mud get stuccoed on and left there has taken its toll.

So I made the decision to paint my bumpers with some rust proof paint to slow down the inevitable, that and I finally had enough of the chrome.
    (I will be getting after market bumpers later, but for now I needed a temporary fix)

So this is what I am using:
    For the Plastic valance on the rear bumper:

For the bumper itself:

So I took the bumper off

And cleaned it up a bit and got rid of all the mud.

Can I tell you that taking off this muffler was by far thee hardest thing to do.
    I thought my power steering pump was bad.
    Oh how wrong I was.

So to ensure that putting it on was easier I am soaking the nuts in carb cleaner:

Needless to say it makes the nuts almost like new!

So after getting everything all cleaned up I primed the plastic valance (2 coats, the picture is only of the first):

Then applied the no skid paint:

After it dried It started to rain so now it site in my garage:

I also painted the mounts that the side walls of the bumper mount to, to try to save them from any future rust:

Then I sanded and primed the side walls of the bumper:

Then I painted:

But It has since started to rain and now Tess is sitting like this:

My plan is to sand and primer the outside of the bumper and just paint the inside since the actual rust enamel adheres better to rust and protects.

I then plan on putting about 3 applications of clear coat and then calling it a day.

I plan on doing the front bumper the same way.

Just thought I would share my lovely experience so far with everyone.

(a little off topic, anyone know of a good cleaner to get all the crud from underneath the truck and in the engine bay? Simply Green isn't cutting it anymore....)

Re: Rear Bumper Paint Job

I have always heard WD40 is a great cleaner. The rest of the rig looks great!!! You must have been bored....LOL Nice work!!! I just have to ask, Why did you put TESS on the skid plate? Don't the innercity folks mess with you for stuff like that? TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jim
    I have always heard WD40 is a great cleaner. The rest of the rig looks great!!! You must have been bored....LOL Nice work!!! I just have to ask, Why did you put TESS on the skid plate? Don't the innercity folks mess with you for stuff like that? TJ
    I will have to try the wd40.
    Yes I got very board.
    Inner City Folks can Say all they want.

But when I drive into the city soaked in mud with only the Toyota Emblem and Tess's name cleaned off, they will know who rules.

Did you finish up the rear bumper? Got any pics?
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

Yes I did.
    Will get pics up when I have time to download them from my camera.
    Just been really busy with school and work, I check my e-mails and go to bed to start another day of school and work lol.

I also got the front bumper done as well.

So, after it stopped raining, I painted the center part of the bumper:

And put a clear coat on the side walls of the bumpers:

Painted the plastic pieces between the side walls and the main bumper:

As well as painted and put back on the sides wall mounts:
    Right:

Left:

Drum Roll Please......

I also did the front bumper two, but I didn't do much step by step, I was geting pressed for time and didn't want to dirt the camera.
    Left:

Right:

Whole Thing:

And A Poser Shot of Me and Tess:

P.S. I ordered an FJ40 emblem for the.......... Satoshi Mod! w00t!!!

Look-in good there Yotafun!! I really like the way your rear bumper came out.... Now you need some mud flaps to keep the paint and your hard work from flaking away. TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

Not next week
    But the week after I will be ordering the front mud flaps that continue off te front flares.

Once I get those I will be priming and painting the fender flares and mud flaps to match the bumpers (since the sun is starting to fade the plastic, hence why the roof rack and rear wing will be painted too)

Looks nice! Can't wait to see the satoshi mod.
    My signature

Ave, when you get done with yours will you come and do my 2000 SR-5?? Oh and I would want you to do the hitch on mine.... TJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast