Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What brake pads do you like for stock rotors ?

Re: What brake pads do you like for stock rotors ?

When I bought my 4Runner in 2005 I had the rotors turned due to steering wheel shimmy under braking. Now 7 years later the shimmy is back and I plan to get new rotors this time-around. I'm not sure I "need" the Tundra upgrade since my brakes feel strong but I do plan to start towing with this vehicle. So what are the pros and cons of the slotted rotors?

i think the pro's are well known and talked about. to me the cons are the ability for debris to get trapped in the slots and then end up in the brake pad. they are also not as strong, and are more expensive.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Sean. Maybe I will just stick with the solid Brembos.

While we are on the subject, look at these Volvo rotors. Can you tell which one is OEM Volvo and which one is aftermarket? What differences do you notice? I hope the Brembos for the 4Runner are closer to OEM than aftermarket.

Sean, I would argue on the debris and strength.

I had taken the 4Runner and multiple off-road trips with the slotted rotors and they cleaned out just fine.
    I believe it also depends on the slotted rotors you get, some have some funky design or the slots open up opposite of the rotation of the wheel, I could see them not cleaning out as well.

As for strength, I never felt that they were going to crack under heavy breaking, I even cut them twice in the time that I owned them, I find they stay cool enough not to fatigue.
    I under heavy braking on the back roads around here I find my pedal fading a lot faster with the blanks then I did with the slotted...

Price is justifiable imo, especially since Tirerack has a deal on them right now.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but it's time for brakes on the 4Runner. Dealer wants $113.26 each for new front brake rotors, TireRack is having a special on Brembo rotors for $68 each, (if you have 15" wheels they are only $41 each) + $20 shipping. Amazon had them for $62.37/each with free shipping. Sweet.

I usually buy OEM brake pads but the ceramic pads I posted about above work so well on the car I am going to try them on the 4Runner as well. They are $41.99 and have a lifetime warranty. LINK

cool ken! those are some good prices on the brembo's. i love my blanks, and they are wearing very well.

as for the dust issues with the hawk lts pads, its a small price to pay for superior stopping power. plus, i have black wheels so i never notice!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ken you'll have to keep us posted on the pads.
    I can get OEM for about $50 my cost, but if stopping power is increased with little to no brake dust on the rim I may be interested.

I know for sure though, in a couple of weeks (if work picks up) I will be ordering some slotted rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    While we are on the subject, look at these Volvo rotors. Can you tell which one is OEM Volvo and which one is aftermarket? What differences do you notice? I hope the Brembos for the 4Runner are closer to OEM than aftermarket.
    Oh hell, the vents don't go all the way through the rotor hat! It might as well be a solid rotor with no cooling vents at all - when the wheel is spinning centrifugal force makes air go from the inside of the hat out through the outer diameter

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax

Oh hell, the vents don't go all the way through the rotor hat! It might as well be a solid rotor with no cooling vents at all - when the wheel is spinning centrifugal force makes air go from the inside of the hat out through the outer diameter
    Exactly! If those were the 'mid grade' rotors from the auto parts store I can only imagine how bad the budget ones are.

I will report back on the pads, although I will not have a chance to work on it until after Memorial Day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123