Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '84 Runner Shackle fab, nothing fancy

'84 Runner Shackle fab, nothing fancy

I decide to make some lift shackles for 1984 Runner. These things are 8" between the holes (2.25" lift) and they are pretty freakin big, I think if they sit weird or anything, I will cut them down to 6" (1.75" of lift), which is the biggest size, I could find commercially available.
    I started with some 1/4" X 1.5" Steel Flat Stock. I then measured for the holes, added about a 1/2" to each end for strength and cut them out on my angle grinder with a thin (.045) cutoff wheel. I then took them over to my drill press and drilled out the 1/2" holes for the bolts, I then took them back to the angle grinder and bench grinder (and wire wheel) to round off the edges, and soften up the look a bit, and then painted!
    I'll let the pics explain better...
    Let me know what you think.

Cutting them out of the stock... (NOTE: See the "Safety Goggles" - Proto Anti-Fog Competition Anti-Glare Paintball Mask. lol)

Drilling out the holes... (NOTE: David, you know you want the drill press)

Grinding them round...

Finished?...

Painted!

Now, I just had 6 more to do...

And all it took was these simple tools...

(Note the OME struts in the rear right, and the OEM 4Runner Coils in the rear left. Pack Rat!!)

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think.

Just for comparison sake, I am posting the measurement of the center of my fender wells, (from ground through hub, to fender) from before and will post the results once they are installed.

BEFORE:
    Front Driver - 35.25"
    Front Passenger - 35.25"
    Rear Driver - 32"
    Rear Passenger - 32.25"
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: '84 Runner Shackle fab, nothing fancy

Nice work Chris,
    YOu got more metal fab skill then I do lol!

looks good man.....i agree with Avy, you're above me haha

Thanks guy, but you could've done it. It wasnt hard. I am thinking of some bracing for it...Whats the thoughts on bracing these things guys? They are pretty long...
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

well if it was me, i probably would have (incorrectly) made them from angle instead of flat stock. that being said, you could mount a through bolt mid height, and maybe get someone to weld gussets and such.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I made this up first thing this morning, sounds like we might be thinking along the same lines Sean.
    I dont have acces to a welder, I did think this up though, what do you think...

I figured drill one more hole through the center, and slap a bolt through there with bolt head/nuts on both side of both peices of steel. I know it wont really keep it from twisting, but without a welder, its about the best I could come up with, worth doing? Let me know, and I'll knock it out tonite.
    -Chris

So, did you just get lazy after rounding off the corners on the first set?

I generally like braced shackles but supposedly the unbraced ones flex better. Without a welder I dunno a good way to brace them. I like the ingenuity though.. I just bought mine instead:

1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Lol, no I did not get lazy, I was informed by neighbors who were not terribly happy, that it was after 11:30pm. I should really stop gridning. lol. So I did.
    -Chris

Looking pretty good. Since it's only 1/4" and they are 8 inches long, a brace would be good. Since you don't have access to a welder, the bolt seems like an idea that might work. One thing to help keep them from twisting is to make a sleeve of some tubing to cover the bolt. This sleeve will hold the two pieces apart while the bolt will hold them together. Even something as simple as cut down water or gas pipe nipple will work! Anything is better than nothing. I can't say I would trust my life to this idea, but it just might work out for you.
    [size=10pt]4x Innovations - Quality Custom Toyota based tube products at a fair price[/size]<br /><br />Check out the 87 Runner trail rig.<br /><br />-Adam-

Any before and after shots of the Truck?
    Nice work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast