Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big 3 wire upgrade

Big 3 wire upgrade

hey all, Im thinking about doing the battery, Alt. ground,wire upgrade.
    anyone know of a good write up ? place to get the wire, teminals, etc.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: Big 3 wire upgrade

Ric,

I buy all of my wiring crap here: http://www.wranglernw.com/

download the full catalog available online and then call them to place the order. They're pretty quick on shipping them and the quality is awesome. They have connectors for whatever you need so just ask them. They'll be able to help you out. All you need to do is just figure out how much cable you want to buy

0/1 ga or 2 ga all around should suffice. I have 0/1 ga but it's pretty overkill (but i love overkill)

good luck!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Lance, thankx for the link
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

*bump*

974runner 3.4L 4x4 auto trans
    so was this big 3 upgrade actually done, did it help?

I plan on doing it but have 2 questions.

where the Heck is the engine block to frame ground ?
    and
    do I need to go from + bat to alt OR + bat to fuse block?

-=Jason=-
    97&#039; SR5 3.4L 4x4 auto trans&nbsp; its Bone stock at the moment. <br /><br />-=Jason=-

There is no engine to frame ground on the 3.4.
    It is engine to body (look on the passenger side of the engine right behind the intake plenum on the passenger side, there is a wire from the back of the block to the fire wall.

This you could probably move to the frame, just run it from that spot down to the frame.

Reason I know this is cause I was all over the engine last night when I was trying to work my starter. I presume that's what everyone else has done.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    There is no engine to frame ground on the 3.4.
    It is engine to body (look on the passenger side of the engine right behind the intake plenum on the passenger side, there is a wire from the back of the block to the fire wall.

This you could probably move to the frame, just run it from that spot down to the frame.

Reason I know this is cause I was all over the engine last night when I was trying to work my starter. I presume that's what everyone else has done.
    sweet probably why I couldn't locate the wire I was looking for a steel braided wire going to the frame. the firewall is suitable is a ground in the Big 3 as the battery ground connects to it.

-=Jason=-
    97&#039; SR5 3.4L 4x4 auto trans&nbsp; its Bone stock at the moment. <br /><br />-=Jason=-

Can you guys share the lengths for each wire? I don't want to have to take all of them off and then head to the store for the cable.

Also, I thought I'd share what I do to attach those large eyelets to the cable. I don't have a heavy duty crimper (they are ridiculously expensive ), but I do have a little butane torch. What I do is roll up a ball of electrical solder (the size depends on the cable diameter, anywhere from a pea to a marble size) and place it in the eyelet. Hold the eyelet with some pliers and melt the solder with the torch. Then insert the cable. Before hand I trim the cable cover back so it fits right against the eyelet collar. It's a better connection because it can't corrode nearly as much as an open crimp.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I scavenged these photos from another forum, should provide a visual for Erich's excellent verbal description:

--- Gary

Thar she be!

Great pics, thanks for illustrating it for me

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Yarrr, no sweat, I started reading and thought to myself that I'd *just* seen a write-up on that somewhere...

--- Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast