Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of the 4runner?

End of the 4runner?

I'm not exactly sure where to post this so I'll start here and it can be moved accordingly if necessary.

So I have had what started as the blessing and has turned out to be the curse (It's taken up my entire vacation so far) of standing next to SDSU's hybrid Chevy Equinox at the San Diego Auto Show and telling the world over, and over, and over, and over... what it is.(It's a diesel electric plug-in hybrid conversion on a stock Equinox)

So I get bored and decide to wonder the show a bit. I head over to the Toyota section which is quite impressive. I notice something. Out of the 30 or so vehicles only 2 are 4runners and they are not particularly noteworthy. I mean there have to be at least 5 Tundra's and 4 FJ's. Since I'm working the show and have to get there early, I head out behind the SD Convention Center where the Toyota Off Road Experience deal is going on. Here you get to take a Tacoma, Tundra filled with bails of hay, or an FY Cruiser on their off road track set up in the parking lot where you can lean them over to about 40 degrees max. The 4runner is clearly missing.

Given the 4runners new dimensions is seems to be encroaching on the Highlander's turf. However, it's off road roots could be seen as treading on the FJ's turf. I have to wonder if this is the last generation of the 4runner. Has anyone else noticed this or gotten this impression?

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Re: End of the 4runner?

I'll bet they have something up their sleeve.....
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Ah now we're talking. I like the stretched look on that FJ styling.

Frank

I highly doubt the 4runner will go away. The 4th gens have been the most popular and best selling 4runner ever.
    92 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4<br />Skyjacker Nitro shocks, Pro-Comp steering stabilizer, clear bumper lenses, lund windjammer, OME standard coils, ISR mod, inlet pipe removed, Bushwaker Fender Flares.<br /><br />2002 Tacoma Prerunner V6 extracab. Lund Intercepter bug guard, rear glass sunshield, Bilstein shocks on rear.<br /><br />2004 Honda CRV EX stock belongs to wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Runner
    [img width=800 height=533]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2240/2044672089_9799abae13_b.jpg[/img]

wow, I really like the look of that...
    1995 4Runner, 5spd, 22R-E, stock, 125,000 miles

Yeah, I personally don't see the 4Runner falling from the line up either.

Although, I am curious to see what the 5th Gen will look like...I hope it's not completely "mall crawler" ish.
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

sorry to revive a dead thread, but I had to...

Anyone know where that picture is from?

I can see Toyota moving to a mix 4runner/FJ design and making the 4runner even more off-road friendly and allowing the Highlander to take its place as a mall queen. By providing the 4runner and the FJ cruiser, but making them related and similar in style and mechanical design is VERY analogous to the Wrangler Rubicon and Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited... But at the moment, the FJ Cruiser wheelbase is around 105in while the 4runner is 109.1 in, a mere 4 inches longer.. I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly longer wheelbase on the 4runner.
    -Ned<br /><br />1997 4Runner 4x4 3.4L V6 Black<br />OME/TRD Lift | 265 Pro comp MT | AR Bajas 16x8, Kenwood Excelon KDCx789 | Polk DB650 speakers | WabFab Discos | Other stuff<br />

I'm glad this was revived. I just got back from the Toyota San Diego dealership where I ordered some parts. There are all sorts of 'yotas on display in the show room and in front. Guess how many 4runners. Zero. There are four FJ's, no 'runners.

I think either something big is planned or it's just being allowed to fade away.

Frank

Save The 4Runners!!!!

My first car of choice (after I wrecked the car that was given to me) was the 4Runner.
    Sometime I wish I had bought a pickup but the runner has come in handy so many times, and with the trailer we have, I don't really need a bed.

Curious, Does the new Sequoia have the roll down rear window anymore?
    How about the land Cruiser?

I know thats one advantage to the 4runner I love, the roll down rear window, I can not think of any SUV after the early 90s accept Toyota to have that feature.
    I could just be young and naive though...

The 3rd Gen was out 7 years before they did a total redesign.
    The 4th Gen now has been out 5 years so I give it another year or so, maybe they might incorporate the Diesel engine that will be offered in 2009, 2010.
    Oh what a thought that is....
    *Drools*

Come to think of it the 1st gen lasted 6 years.
    The second Gen lasted 5.

It seems the more popular gens lasted the longest lol!!

Anyway, back to class and looking out the window at a great Toyota parked in the parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn

Maybe an odd thought, but how many college students, and young grads pick up these as their first vehicle??
    I know out here, next to all the little commuters, they are still in use, and popular.
    *You can goto Cosco, throw 2 kegs, a couple of 12 packs, some snack food, tent, sleping bags, 1 friend, and three hotties in back for a trip to the Lake/Camp/River.

..ahhhh memories.
    I'm one of them! I ended up getting my truck as my first vehicle just before senior year of high school. I'm so glad I did. I've been able to go on several camping trips to far away places and unlike a lot of my friends who have enough room for all the crap we bring, I'm the only one that can drive right up to most of the primitive camp sites. I'm gonna miss it when I sell it
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast