Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What vehicle security system do you use?

What vehicle security system do you use?

I've been looking into differant types of security systems and trying to choose an option that would be feasible for my truck. I know this old pickup is a very easy target for vehicle thieves. One problem with living in deep SoCal is that your vehicle is being sold at an auction or torn appart in a chop-shop south of the border within 45 minutes of being stolen.
    So my quest now is to prevent it from being stolen in the first place.

I have considered options ranging from installing alarms to rigging an ignition cut off system and several other electronic solutions. But in a non OEM setup they could all be fairly easily disabled.

Now I have my eye on more physical means of anti theft. So far the most appealing device is the Grant No Wheel, No Steal system. I allows you to unlock and remove the steering wheel instantly with a key.

Does anyone have other ideas, tested or not. Have you, or do you know of anyone who has used this steering wheel security system. What do people think of Lo-Jack.

Just post up what you use to prevent your precious fourwheel machines from wandering away with strangers.

Clickey here.
    http://www.grantproducts.com/pc-269-...ty-system.aspx

&#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Re: What vehicle security system do you use?

in my runner I use the stock system that came with it which was VIP alarm systems. They make arftermarket products I believe but I don't know.

Back when I had the olds cutlass I had an aftermarket alram with autostart. Avtel I belive was the company.

The min the alarm was activated a kill switch was set, so even if they got in without setting off the alarm they wouldn't be able to start it.
    And when it was started and someone would try to put it in gear the car would kill itself and the alarm would go off and would not start till I myself would reset the alarm with my key in the ignition.

crime stopper 2002, picked it up at some shady place for about 70 bucks. its a great alarm!!!

really easy to install. not all the bells and whistles i dont need (like remote start)

my experience with shielding easy targets like yours from theft: ignition cut off and fuel pump cut off, wires completely run in metal flex conduit and switches and whatnot hidden very very well (i did a momentary switch behind a plastic panel, you had to push the panel to start the truck)

ultimately, if they want it, they are going to get it. they will drag it up on a trailer or something. 500 bucks for lojack or more for something else is a bit steep.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i know of a few w/the grant system and they all like it. they still have their cars too

ive also seen a lock for the clutch&brake pedals that makes it difficult to get at w/a cutting device.

none of it will stop it from being towed
    thieves
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Try to get a fake clamp.
    That will stop them from even trying

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    ultimately, if they want it, they are going to get it.
    Yes, very true. My goal is to make them have to really really really have to want to go through all the trouble to get it.
    I like the idea of a fuel cut off system. I could just install a solenoid on the fuel supply line, and have the switch in a hidden location.

I had forgotten about the clutch/brake pedal lockouts. Those would be great for parking somewhere for any extended time.

As for the towing issue, I have been thinking of installing a remotely controlled self detonation system. Just in case the buggers do decide to tow it and stash it in their garage.
    Ka-fircken-Boom!!!
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

this vehicle protected by smith&wesson.

couple of .45 slugs in their chest and the only thing they are going to steal is a bit of tax payer money paying for the unnecessary ambulance.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

http://www.autolock.com/

i use one, suppose to stand up to just about anything...

HaHa, that works too. I need to get me one of them stickers.
    My preferd security round is 3" 12ga high base double 00 buck. But then you have to pay a clean up crew too.

Everything in my truck is locked or bolted down then locked. When I park I leave the doors unlocked, for fear of the crook cutting my vinyl. I use a ecu kill switch, which would take a good thief/electrician a good couple hours to figure out. I also use a cheap alarm from kragen, I bought 10 years ago for the doors and siren. If the thief is still too stupid to run, then a bullet to the leg and then a severe beating with my 1" drive torque wrench (for personal satisfaction).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast