Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the most annoying thing about your 3rd generation?

Re: the most annoying thing about your 3rd generation?

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnersurf
    I'm going to, just haven't had luck finding a 99 around here for a cheap console.
    surf,

i have a complete kit that i am selling for $125 shipped. it has EVERY part you need, including mounts and screws. http://4runners.org/forsale_cupholder.htm if it is not your interior color, you can paint the plastic shell as ive done in my roof console mod http://4runners.org/writeups/centerroof. look at the optional paint instructions

most annoying thing about my 3rd gen is that it has this hissing sound at around 2500 rpm. it does nothing to affect mpg or performance, but its a little exhaust leak somewhere, probably a gasket. ive just had other things to do besides trying to fix it but this didnt happen w/ my 99 4runner.

...that I drive it to and from work more than on the trail...
    1996 4Runner Limited<br />Sonoran 1.2,315x70x17 Goodyear MTR/Kevlar, 4xInnovations Bumper,1&quot; Body Lift,Race Ace Louvers,Deck Plate Mod.... Always More To Come

oh quit bitching about these oil filters . drop the skidplate and its right there. toyota was even smart enough to place the filter with the hole on the bottom so when you loosen it all the oil drains so when you actually take it off it dosent crap all its oil on your arm. i work on cars and have had much much much worse filters to replace, for example vw filters suck balls.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

yea honestly, besides taking the skid off, oil changes are EASY on this vehicle. try a 4cylinder 95 honda accord, the only way to get to and get leverage on the filter is to be right under it, leaving you with a neck and chest covered in oil!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

dude...gotta disagree with you on that one...owned an '83 Rabbit GTI...and '87 Scirocco...and a '92 Golf GTI.

Changing the oil on those was easy compared to the 4runner.

but thats my 2 cents.
    -B

I am not saying its hard to change the oil, its just the mess involoved.
    I end up parking the truck on a couple of open flattened cardboard boxes so the drive doesn't get covered in oil.

Top problems:
    -The gas tank hangs below the frame rails
    -I hit my head on the sunroof headliner frame over big bumps
    -IFS components die young
    -Did I mention the gas tank?

Overall my truck rocks
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Oh Yeah The Gas Tank.
    I do hate that!
    Mine has a dent, and hell even my stepdads has a dent from when we went into a huge @$$ pot hole.

x2 on gas tank location
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Gas Tank gets hammered big time while wheeling.

As far as the oil filter. It is not too bad until you look at how Toyota placed the filter and filler on the new FJC. So handy. You open the hood and it is right there at the same level as the top of the battery. It even has a cup designed under and around it with a drain hole that has a cap so you don't spill anything. The filler neck has a 4-5 inch extension on it so you cannot miss that either. So nice.

I saw this today when our group was airing up and a really nicely built FJC had his hood opened to get to his battery. Simple things amaze me. Just a better designed engine.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast