There has been a lot of speculation about the 5th gen 4runner and whether or not it will drop out of Toyota's SUV line. I have been fearing that the 4Runner will become a mall queen as it currently treads very closely to the FJ Cruiser in off-road prowess and they are really pushing the FJ for their off-road vehicle. But then again, I take a look at the 4runner and it is in direct competition with several other vehicles that the FJ can't compete with due to its lack of luxury options, v8 engine and 4 doors. Looking at Jeep's line-up and the Hummer H3, the 4runner is VERY similar to those vehicles, in wheelbase, interior and exterior options aswell as size. The sequoia and land cruiser are not in these catagories. Sequoia is full size and the LC is a premium luxury model costing twice as much as these other vehicles.

Something that makes me doubt that Toyota intends to tame the 4Runner is the Jeep Line. The Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee are basically the same vehicle! I don't know why Jeep introduced the Commander in 06. The lifts you purchase fit both vehicles (superlift makes one) and the wheelbase is pretty damn near identical. The options are also the same on both vehicles and both vehicles compete directly with the 4runner, offering 5.7L v8s putting out in the neighborhood of 300 hp and ft-lbs. In other words, the 4Runner occupies more of its own niche in the current Toyota lineup than the Commander does in the current Jeep lineup. The H3 Alpha also offers leather, navigation, a 5.3L v8, etc., options that are not available with the FJ cruiser or any other mid-sized, quasi luxury, off-road SUV.

Also note the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited line. The relationship between the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited could symbolize the future relationship between the FJ Cruiser and the 4Runner. Additionally, with the increase in size of the Highlander (it looks big anyway), its not unreasonable to think the Highlander is moving in to take the 4runner's place as a soccer shuttle while they push the 4runner into the adventure-mobile market. There are more vehicles, like the LR Discovery III or whatever its called, that I haven't looked into. And its not like the 4Runner didn't do well in sales during its 4th generation. What I have noticed is that there are less people on the forums, (here, YT, T4R.org, Tundra solutions, etc.) that discuss modding and tech of the 4th Gens. Goodtimes is the only one I know off the top of my head, but that could just be my own ignorance. I wonder if that has anything to do with the crowd that is purchasing the 4th gen?

So I think the 4runner will either stay much like how it is or perhaps move closer to the FJ. What do you guys think?

Of course if this is all wrong when the 5th gen makes its debut, we can look back and laugh at how naive I was.