Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of the 4Runner (5th Gen)

Re: The future of the 4Runner (5th Gen)

its no secret that the land cruiser prado (in other markets) is the lexus GX in america with minor sheetmetal tweaking:

toyota long ago split apart the ranges in terms of badge engineering. no longer are lexi (plural of lexus) just toyotas with big L's on the back. the 4runner will get a distinctive body for the US and maybe other markets where it will be sold as the hilux surf. it will however, most likely NOT be identical to the prado.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i thought the prado was a reworked 4th gen 4runner (or vice versa) and the gx was just a very lightly reworked prado??
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

im saying sheetmetal wise. the 4th gen 4runner, 1st gen FJC, 1st gen GX, and 2nd gen taco are all based on the land cruiser prado 120 global platform and share the frame, suspension(save taco), and engine/trans choices (vary on market of course).

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

here are the 3 side by side:
    4Runner:

GX:

Prado:

i think that provides a much better look at how the prado and lexus are basically twins, and the 4runner is pretty well defined as its own vehicle (sheetmetal anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    i thought the prado was a reworked 4th gen 4runner (or vice versa) and the gx was just a very lightly reworked prado??
    Yep, that is my understanding as well.

The GX, FJC, and 4Runner are based on the Land Cruiser Prado. The GX shares most of the sheetmetal with the Prado as well, whereas the FJC and 4Runner use different sheetmetal.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

well all in all,
    I would rather the GX and Pardo keep there similarities
    and the 4Runner still be its own with its distinct C pillar.

But I am sure with the way the Market is, the 5th gen will look like that...

toyota tries very hard to keep the toyota and lexus cars looking different. they learned long ago that you cant just rebadge a toyota, throw leather seats in and call it a lexus. that is a lesson the big 3 are learning the hard way right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    toyota tries very hard to keep the toyota and lexus cars looking different. they learned long ago that you cant just rebadge a toyota, throw leather seats in and call it a lexus. that is a lesson the big 3 are learning the hard way right now.
    This is true I agree.
    Moms car is still almost a done up Camary, though still pitted side by side there are very many differences...

I guess its still a waiting period till we actually see a 4Runner badge on what ever the 5th gen 4Runner turns out to be

Looks like some chrome trim around some of the gauges. I like the wheels too.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Still 6 lug and still solid rear axle.
    Def bigger and more squared out too.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast