3lb hand "sledge" hammer
    Drill and drill bits
    X-acto blade
    Measuring caliper
    Soldering iron
    Sharpie pen
    Loctite

Parts
    Firestik Hood Channel Mount (or comparable mount)
    Firestik II antenna
    Spring adapter mount
    Quick-release adapter mount
    Rubber grommet
    Rubber donut (optional)
    Bungee-type cord (optional)

Summary
    This write up is an "adjustment" to my original installation of my Cobra 75 CB and Firestik II write up which was mounted on a Firestik Hood Channel mount. While the hood channel mount worked perfectly, quite frankly it was an eye sore. In addition, driving with the antenna mounted on a spring mount at highway speeds was a scary experience---the antenna would sway backwards and at times, sway in all directions.

After seeing a picture that of a rear mounted Firestik antenna on a Tacoma Doublecab, I was inspired to do the same. Being the cheap ******* that I am, I decided to see if I could recycle the existing parts and make it work. Being the MacGyver that I can be sometimes, I'm proud to say it worked. Read on.

Note: I've documented this write up and assumed that you've installed your hood channel mount like I did.

Step 1: The Making of a Rear-Mount
    Take your Firestik hood channel mount and put it in your vise. Crank that vise until the hood channel intersection (B) is flattened out. If it is not perfectly straight, take your mini-sledge hammer and pound out the mount until it is completely straight:

Here is a pic of the original hood mount. You will need to completely flatten out the 90 degree bend (B)

Here's what the hood channel mount should look like after you straighten it out.

Step 2: Removing the Paneling
    To remove the driver's side bottom panel, remove the four 10mm bolts. Next, remove the bottom driver's side kick panel pull it towards you. Next, unscrew the driver's side front and rear kick step panels.

To remove part (A), remove the four 10mm bolts. Panel (B) posts right out. Kick panel (C) will simply unscrew and can be pulled out.

The rear step panel can be unscrewed easily and be pulled out. Unscrew screws (S)

You will need to run the coax through the body of your rear hatch area. Also, you will need to drill into a small portion of the rear hatch area to mount your 'new' antenna mount. Start by using your calipers to determine the diameter of your coax cable. Then drill an appropriate sized hole in area shown below. Insert your rubber grommet.

Next, put your 'new' antenna mount against the area shown below (left picture) and mark your pilot holes. Drill your pilot holes, spray with some rust protectant (or spray paint), let dry, put a little loctite on your self-tapping metal screws, and screw in.

This is the approximate size of the area where you will be mounting the new mount.

Drill a hole and insert your rubber grommet.

Mark your pilot holes. The original hood channel mount only has three screws. Thus, I drilled/screwed 3 holes. If I were to do it again, I'd drill four holes.

Step 3: Running and Repairing the Coax
    At the interior plug end of the coax cable, cut the coax as close to the end as possible. Discard the plug end. Open your hood and then pull the coax cable through the firewall and into the engine bay. Take the coax cable, reattach the end to your new rear antenna mount and run the cut end through your rear hatch area grommet. Run the cable under the carpet, under the step panels, and back to the cb cable box.

Here's a shot of the original cb coax connector. Cut at interesection (A)

Here is the antenna coax end connected to the antenna mount.

You will have to repair and reattach a new coax plug connector. Begin by carefully slicing the black protective cable down about 1.5 inches and remove the covering. Next, pull the braided copper wires outwards---it should look like a lion's mane. Next, cut the plastic white cover down about a half inch down from the top. Next, affix the new connector down and screw it down. You should have some frayed ends poking out. Cut those ends with a pair of scissors. Solder the tip and then you're done. Finish by screwing it into the cable box.

Step 4: Mounting Your Antenna - Usage Notes
    Mounting the antenna, of course, is an easy thing to do. However, the antenna will get in the way of opening and closing the rear hatch. Thus, a quick-release or a spring mount must be used in conjunction with your new rear mount.

I prefer to use the quick release mount when driving on the highways. It is much stable than a spring mount. Then when I get to my off-road destination, I will use the spring mount. I also attach a bungee-type cord to the antenna and to the top of my roof rack to avoid the predictable swaying of the antenna.

Click here for some larger, close-up pics of the rear mounted Firestik II Antenna.
    84 Xcab: 38&quot;TSL/D44/4.56/ARB/350/4L60E/2.28/2.28/ARB/4.56/D60 (gone, sigh)<br />01 WJ 32s solids F&amp;R

Re: Write-up: Rear Mount - Firestik II Antenna

You might want to suggest in the instructions to add some rust protection to those holes you drilled.

Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

Bob,
    I used your method of installation of the Cobra and Firestik II a couple of years ago and it works great and I would highly recommend it to others. One change I made was to use a quick connect adapter so I could put the firestik on and take it off without tools. Thanks for reminding me of your accurate and thorough instructions.
    George&nbsp; &gt;&lt;&gt;<br />2000 4Runner Limited 4WD<br />TJM T-15, Warn XD9000 Winch, BFG AT/KO 265/75-16, DeMello Sliders, Yakima LoadWarrior, OME Front&nbsp; 882/N91S - Rear 891/N86,&nbsp; Fiaam Freeway Blaster Horns, Alpine CDA-9827,&nbsp; Cobra 75WXST w/ Firestik II,&nbsp; HuskyLiners, PIAA 520 Fogs, Powerslot Rotors, Optima Red Top, Cargo Storage, Inverter<br /><br />SA XD-9, Remington 870, Ruger 10/22 Scoped, Ruger 10/22 Tech Sight Trainer, SA M1 Garand, Inland M1 Carbine

mark:

yes, you are right. i'll add it

george:

great to see you here! we gotta meet up on the trails or somewhere else---its been awhile!

bob

Also if you buy the Firestick door jamb mount.. it eliminates the need for a vise and sledge hammer.

Still mounts in the same place, in the same fashion.

im in the process of designing a door jamb mount that wont interfere with the rear door. should have a prototype up next weekend, i will post my progress in another thread. removing each time to get to the rear cargo is really annoying.... i find myself using the window more and more.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What antenna do you use? I'm using a Wilson Flex so it's not a problem for me. It bend right out of the way when I need to open the hatch.

Maybe if you added some length to the door jamb mount, and bent it in a different place it would put it far enough out to miss the door. But then it'd be sticking out further to the side, and more prone to catch branches or the side of an embankment when you're off roading.

Is there a reason no one is using this kind of bracket from firestik?

I also added the quick release and I have mine tilted a little. I guess with a 3rd gen you may not be able to tilt it but it should be free of the door if it is straight up.

My signature

slosurfer
    I have the same mount

Ordered mine online for $30 iirc
    Came with the mount and cable.

I don't remember what I paid, but I just bought the bracket.
    My signature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast