Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier Build-Up

3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier Build-Up

I'm fabricating a bolt-on carrier for one of my custom bumpers.

Here's the progress so far.....

The short leg will hold the 2 fuel cans and the long leg will have the spare tire and hi-lift jack.

One of the pivot points, I'm using graphite impregnated delrin bushings.

The whole assembly will simply slip over the hitch assembly and shackle hanger mounts. 3 bolts will lock it down. I still need to add a few more braces, but it does mount solid.

The reason I made one leg longer than the other is the type of latch assembly I plan to mount. The hitch would have been in the way, besides this also give a bit more room for the tire as well.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Re: 3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier Build-Up

I will be looking forward to seeing the finished outcome of this.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Nice work Bruce - good to see a double shear design on there.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

nice fab skills and extra props for making it an add-on.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Can't wait to see the finished product

looks like im going to have to buy your bumper with this carrier... haha. nice work!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Looks great Bruce. Cannot wait to see how it all works out.

Will we loose the use of our shackles with this or just use the shackle pins to bolt it on?
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
    Will we loose the use of our shackles with this or just use the shackle pins to bolt it on?
    A while back I promised Joyce I'd build her a tire carrier. I had many factors to consider, she wanted to carry a hi-lift, and 2 spare fuel cans as well. Ideally a system that wasn't too heavy and easily bolted on. By going with a double swing out design it spreads the weight better and opens the system to be more modular. I can easily add mounts for a table that can go between the swing out or a system to extend the back platform, giving more space when sleeping in the back.

As for the shackle hangers, on this design it takes away their usage, but Joyce has one of those hitch mounted shackle pins so she didn't mind getting it mounted this way. I could easily drill a hole through the 2x4 and sleeve it, instead, but Joyce had already gotten her bumper powder coated, so I was trying to avoid doing any modifications to it.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

jumping in line to watch this thread. as always great job so far bruce. and im still in the line for " need to get a rear bumper from bruce" lol
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

bruce,

as always, you are a true innovator. can't wait to see it all done.

hows joyce doing?

bob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast