Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backspacing, More or Less?

Re: Backspacing, More or Less?

Smaller means less rubbing on the UCA, and MORE rubbing on the fender. If you get out too far, get out the sawzall.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    Smaller means less rubbing on the UCA, and MORE rubbing on the fender. If you get out too far, get out the sawzall.
    this is a very good point. whereas now if you STUFF a wheel, it fits inside the fender, but if you get very much less backspacing, when it stuffs upward, it will hit the fender lip, and no longer tuck insdie the wheelwell, you have to find a happy medium.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Is 4.25" backspacing good?
    IIRC stock is 4.75 (I think I just opened up a can of arguing).

The reason I ask is because I can get a deal on a set of 4 Mickey Tompson Classic II rims 16x8 for 250 dollars local from a guy that have less then 1000 miles on them.

I figured with these and a set of Sonoran Shaved a-arms I should be good to run 315s eventually right?

Again thank you in advance!
    Avy

as far as i know, stock is 4 and 3/8, so 4.25 might work as it's a little less

Cool Thanks Garrett.

Looks Like I may be scoring myself some Rims Shweet!

Thanks for the help guys.

you'll be good to go with 4.25 & shaved arms on an 8" rim with 315's. the lower then #, the more they stick out.

...dont forget to regear once you go 315's!
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

That is in the works, I will probably do the regear this winter.
    These MT will get getting an off-road tire and will only go on when I hit the Trails, I will use my stock Rims with an HT tire for normal driving.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    this is a very good point. whereas now if you STUFF a wheel, it fits inside the fender, but if you get very much less backspacing, when it stuffs upward, it will hit the fender lip, and no longer tuck insdie the wheelwell, you have to find a happy medium.
    less backspace (rim sticking out more) also means that when you turn, the tire has to travel a wider arc . . . and could get closer to the front or rear of the fender opening. Also, when you go with a taller tire, you might consider less backspace to maintain the scrub radius (see Alignment 101 sticky)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Well I am going about what 1/2" from stock right?
    If So I shouldn't have too much of an issues.
    I am really itching to get these rims.

yeah, 1/2" is nothing really, you'll be fine. I just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents for anyone else who's reading.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast