Thread: Dents in gas tank

Dents in gas tank

Whats the best way to remove to remove dents from a gas tank besides replacing the whole tank?
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Re: Dents in gas tank

You can take it off and pound it out a few times before it needs replaced...
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Hehe maybe I'll do a write-up.....

I plan to drop my tank this week to pound out the dents from the last outing.

The tank is quite easy to drop, then remove the fuel pump assembly and drain the remainder of the fuel. Use a 2 x 2 wood block(I rounded the corners off one) slide it into the hole where the fuel pump mounts and simply pound out the dents. Next you need to remove the pump from the bracket and straighten that as well(it will be bent).
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

mines been trashed for awhile, gage doesnt read anymore..

Bruce, I would love to see that write-up
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

It's pretty straight-forward. Get the tank as low on fuel as possible. Fold up the driver's side rear seat and remove the inspection plate. Unplug the sending unit and fuel pump connectors. Disconnect the supply and return hoses and the fuel filler neck. Support the tank and remove (IIRC) 3 bolts at the front of the tank and the strap at the rear. I think that's it. I probably forgot something critical though, like the part about disconnecting the battery to prevent an explosion.

My sending unit stopped working when I bashed mine too. I used a hammer and some 2x2 wood to pound it out and now it looks as good as new. The skidplate isn't so pretty though. The sending unit just needed some bending to align the inductor with the coils.

Much to my delight when I pulled the gas tank skid today my tank was undamaged (one very small dent from first wheeling trip in Az.) That pus my paranoidia to rest.

Is it just me on doe it seem like that last bolt never wants to go in right and having to go back and reloosen everything again.

2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by ttora4runner
    Much to my delight when I pulled the gas tank skid today my tank was undamaged (one very small dent from first wheeling trip in Az.) That pus my paranoidia to rest.

Is it just me on doe it seem like that last bolt never wants to go in right and having to go back and reloosen everything again.

No, I have the same issue all the time.
    But mines worse...
    Why does it seem that every time I try to take off a bolt, it breaks?
    Oh thats right I am in the salt belt.

I really need to do this but since all the bolts on my gas tank are rusted to hell I am going to end up drilling them all out.

A little late to the tank party but for those searching for an answer in the future this might help. I had lost about 3 gals capacity for the same reason - and the stock skid is basically toast.

Removed the skid and blew some compressed air in the tank, probably only took 10-15 psi or so and it popped right out.
    Jon<br /><br />[move]97 4Runner 3.4 * 4.88&#039;s * ARB Lockers F/R * ARB compressor * Sonoran Steel numba 1 * 285 BFG AT/KO * TJM 17 * BudBuilt Skids * Stubbs Sliders &amp; BBQ sauce * Irbis out back * Various Electronic Gadgets[/move]