Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 99 4runner with Diesel engine in Knoxville, TN

Re: 99 4runner with Diesel engine in Knoxville, TN

i see no reason you couldnt do this your self? its just an engine swap, maybe a bit more involved than a traditional one, but totally doable.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown
    ...but for a few grand LESS, you could get a low K locked diesel 80 up here.
    X2

If I was gonna go diesel tomorrow, I get one of those instead.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i see no reason you couldnt do this your self? its just an engine swap, maybe a bit more involved than a traditional one, but totally doable.
    maybe, but i want to run dual tanks, one for veggie oil and the other for standard diesel.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    maybe, but i want to run dual tanks, one for veggie oil and the other for standard diesel.
    Hmmm I was on the same train of thought if I was going to get the little toyota deisel pickup this summer.

well im going to start looking for half cuts, and i think im gonna have one imported this summer.

Cool, good luck, I don't think I will do the diesel thing till I am ready you build a trail rig, for now its all Miata baby.

While I doubt Bob's inline-6 turbo diesel would fit, surely the Mercedes 2.5L inline-5 turbo diesel would fit. They're far cheaper and much more available than the Toyota diesel, but someone would have to be the guinea pig and make some sort of bellhousing adapter. I vote for someone other than me.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    While I doubt Bob's inline-6 turbo diesel would fit, surely the Mercedes 2.5L inline-5 turbo diesel would fit. They're far cheaper and much more available than the Toyota diesel, but someone would have to be the guinea pig and make some sort of bellhousing adapter. I vote for someone other than me.
    yeah, thats what my dad has in his 85 benz, but its freakin slow as hell, even for that 3750 pound car, mine weighs a good 500 pounds more.

the prob w/ doing your own diesel conversion is that in the republic of kalifornia the motor swap still has to conform to BAR standards.

1. donor motor has to be newer than the frame or the same year. (i.e. diesel block year=2000, vehicle year=1999-)
    2. donor motor must come out of same vehicle platform (donor car can't be a sports car when you want to put it in your suv)
    3. i don't rem the last one. but yeah... it sucks!

the only good side w/ diesels at this time is you don't have to smog it. They are proposing to change that so that you need to smog diesels... damn foolios!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    the prob w/ doing your own diesel conversion is that in the republic of kalifornia the motor swap still has to conform to BAR standards.

1. donor motor has to be newer than the frame or the same year. (i.e. diesel block year=2000, vehicle year=1999-)
    2. donor motor must come out of same vehicle platform (donor car can't be a sports car when you want to put it in your suv)
    3. i don't rem the last one. but yeah... it sucks!

the only good side w/ diesels at this time is you don't have to smog it. They are proposing to change that so that you need to smog diesels... damn foolios!
    i forgot i live in Kal!

wait, i dont live in Kalifornia.

lol

well that may change if I get this job....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast