Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 worst US cities to drive in (2008)...

5 worst US cities to drive in (2008)...

Ever get so pissed stuck in traffic that you literally wanted to kill everyone in front of your with a flick of a trigger button that blasted an opening so you can drive through like in the movie Evan Almighty? Welp here's an article I found on Green Daily which pretty much said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Loposer @ Green Daily
    As far as I'm concerned, every minute spent sitting in traffic is not only time wasted, but the stress and pollution it creates takes a minute off the end of your life -- maybe two. Look, I'm not a doctor and this formula is totally not scientific -- but it seems pretty believable. So, if you find yourself spending time in one of the top 5 best/worst cities for wasting your life in traffic, you might want to get your hands on a bike. It may add minutes to your life.

Think you're city made the grade?
    Source: GreenDaily.com

[img width=400]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.greendaily.com/media/2008/04/dallas.jpg[/img]
    5. Dallas

Suburban sprawl and the SUV mentality have conspired to make Dallas a wonderful place to read a book while sitting in your car. Dallas is the fastest growing city in the country, and although they've thrown $900M at a light rail, growth is clearly out-pacing any traffic solutions. Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 58hrs a year
    [img width=400]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.greendaily.com/media/2008/04/dc.jpg[/img]
    4. Washington DC

It's ironic that the city that houses the federal government can't even succeed at modest city planning -- or maybe it's metaphoric. The suburban sprawl of the District of Columbia, mixed with the confusing landscape of the Beltway makes the nation's capital a traffic nightmare. Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 60hrs a year
    [img width=400]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.greendaily.com/media/2008/04/sf.jpg[/img]
    3. San Francisco

The city might be full of beautiful views and environmentalists, but their traffic infrastructure is not all peace and love. Bridges to get in and out of Bay City create some nasty bottlenecks.Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 60hr a year
    [img width=400]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.greendaily.com/media/2008/04/atlanta.jpg[/img]
    2. Atlanta

Cheap home prices and a sprawling network of suburbs have created a traffic headache to rival any in the country. Atlanta has also held the honor for being one of the fastest growing cities for the last decade, putting more strain on the transit system. Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 60hrs a year
    [img width=400]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.greendaily.com/media/2008/04/la.jpg[/img]
    1. Los Angeles

This one's no shocker, most anyone who's visited this mega-city has had a taste of it's smoggy congestion problem. The LA Transit Authority wants to pass a new tax on driving, but like many of the cities on this list, the population is very spread out. So there's no clear solution. Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 72hrs a year

Looks like I'm screwed period! HA. No love from the LA residents but we do have everything within an hours worth of hell (driving)
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: 5 worst US cities to drive in (2008)...

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Looks like I'm screwed period! HA. No love from the LA residents but we do have everything within an hours worth of hell (driving)
    an hour's worth of driving will only get you 5 miles in hell-A. Can't wait till I can afford to move . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I never thought DC was that bad.
    Now NYC on the other hand...
    And I thought Boston was pretty bad too?

Atlanta is terrible! I hate sitting in rush hour traffic. You have to plan everything around it!
    95 4Runner 4x4 - Drilled Air Box, 33x12.50 BFG's, Midland CB/PA, Polk Audio Mid Range Speakers, Stock CD/Tape Deck, Marlin Crawler Rear Bumper, Herculined Tailgate/Rocker Panels, Coleman Safari Roof Rack, All Chrome (Mirrors, Windshield Trim, Door Handles, License Plate Frame, and Grill) painted black, 1" 4Crawler Body Lift, 15x8 Cragar Wheels, 1 Regular Transmission Cooler (in-series with stock AT Cooler), Old Man Emu Rear Lift Coils, Rear Pro Comp Shocks, SDORI BJ Spacers, Front SkyJacker Shocks

my two favorite us cities are up there, yet i hate traffic. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU 4Runner
    Atlanta is terrible! I hate sitting in rush hour traffic. You have to plan everything around it!
    atlanta aint bad if you know what time to get up and drive damnit.

ive been through atlanta a lot and ppl get the hell out of my way.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

oh and btw, dallas shouldnt be up there, denver should!

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

I've grown up in Atlanta, and yes if you know how to drive it's alright but some cars like mine aren't built for speed. And it's not gettin up, I go to school in south GA and to get to my house north of Atlanta every now and then, I have to take 75 to 285 past 20 no matter how you drive you can't get through dead stopped traiffc.
    95 4Runner 4x4 - Drilled Air Box, 33x12.50 BFG's, Midland CB/PA, Polk Audio Mid Range Speakers, Stock CD/Tape Deck, Marlin Crawler Rear Bumper, Herculined Tailgate/Rocker Panels, Coleman Safari Roof Rack, All Chrome (Mirrors, Windshield Trim, Door Handles, License Plate Frame, and Grill) painted black, 1" 4Crawler Body Lift, 15x8 Cragar Wheels, 1 Regular Transmission Cooler (in-series with stock AT Cooler), Old Man Emu Rear Lift Coils, Rear Pro Comp Shocks, SDORI BJ Spacers, Front SkyJacker Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

I've grown up in Atlanta, and yes if you know how to drive it's alright but some cars like mine aren't built for speed. And it's not gettin up, I go to school in south GA and to get to my house north of Atlanta every now and then, I have to take 75 to 285 past 20 no matter how you drive you can't get through dead stopped traiffc.
    tint your front windsheild and take the hov lane. i havent gotten stopped yet in that lane.

what no Denver they must not have been here, so many freakin rude, non-driving people, and dont let it snow most of the people here are from Ca. that have never driven in snow. Last week there was a 70, yes 70, car crash on I-70 during some snow, and yesterday it was closed again due to wrecks,
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast