Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 worst US cities to drive in (2008)...

Re: 5 worst US cities to drive in (2008)...

Couple years ago, I drove a 15 passenger van pulling a 16' trailer through Atlanta in the rain during rush hour. It took forever! Atlanta is a city I have no plans on moving to.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

most of the time i park at lenox square mall near buckhead and ride the marta subway in. screw driving to north ave and parking near the fox theatre or trying to get on peachtree.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Dallas, actually the whole DFW area, sucks but Houston is at least 5 times worse.

95 4Runner- 3.0- A/T- 4.88's- MC rear bumper- Downey skid plate- BJ spacers- LC coils- 32" BFG A/T's- FROR front bumper and frame brace on the way

This one's no shocker, most anyone who's visited this mega-city has had a taste of it's smoggy congestion problem. The LA Transit Authority wants to pass a new tax on driving, but like many of the cities on this list, the population is very spread out. So there's no clear solution. Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 72hrs a year
    re smog, there have only been 2 smog alert days in the past 3 years, i believe, from what i recall of a recent LA Times article. so those days have pretty much gone by thanks to tighter regulations on emissions and additives in gas. accordingly, we pay the highest gas prices in the nation (not including HI, of course)

there's no escaping traffic around the country. its gonna get worse every year. ive been to/lived in many cities, and each city has its unique traffic problems. ive been stuck on the beltway in DC as well as surrounding cities outside DC. ive been stuck in bridge traffic in the CA Bay area as well as in Boston. I've driven in Atlanta at 1pm and wondered why there was traffic. there's really no sense in bitching about traffic. i just try to check sigalert.com here in LA and plan around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    This one's no shocker, most anyone who's visited this mega-city has had a taste of it's smoggy congestion problem. The LA Transit Authority wants to pass a new tax on driving, but like many of the cities on this list, the population is very spread out. So there's no clear solution. Average commuter's time lost to traffic - 72hrs a year
    re smog, there have only been 2 smog alert days in the past 3 years, i believe, from what i recall of a recent LA Times article. so those days have pretty much gone by thanks to tighter regulations on emissions and additives in gas. accordingly, we pay the highest gas prices in the nation (not including HI, of course)

there's no escaping traffic around the country. its gonna get worse every year. ive been to/lived in many cities, and each city has its unique traffic problems. ive been stuck on the beltway in DC as well as surrounding cities outside DC. ive been stuck in bridge traffic in the CA Bay area as well as in Boston. I've driven in Atlanta at 1pm and wondered why there was traffic. there's really no sense in bitching about traffic. i just try to check sigalert.com here in LA and plan around it.
    im gonna start a flame here, but you know why their is a lot of traffic, the hippies couldnt close their legs. now we have teenage hoes running around with twins in their bellies still in highschool.

because of these stupid chicks, we will overpopulate the world
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Blake you're on the right path but probably the wrong reasoning. I believe the population growth directly affects the congestion level to some respect. Cities with better mass transit systems will be able to overcome the traffic to some respect but once the saturation level is met you really just get traffic all across the board.

I'm actually surprised to see DC on the list as they have a really good mass transit system in place but then again I've never driven there so maybe on the road it's hell. I will say that their subway system rocks! LA is no surprise as we don't have anything remotely close to a decent mass transit system like any other city. We are working on building a mass transit system but this will take years if not decades before we see any forward progress. We're just too accustomed to drive so until we change our behavior we're screwed.

Unfortunately I do not see traffic to go away. It's only going to get worse as the population grows. The problem is that we all want to work in the big cities believing that there's a better opportunity there so we drive great lengths to keep our careers. Sadly I think we're all victims to this and only when we change our beliefs that there are other opportunities outside of the big cities, traffic will diminish. Then again maybe not? At any rate traffic bites!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    And I thought Boston was pretty bad too?
    i fully expected it to be on the list

but its really only bad at peak hours and the big dig stuff has eased congestion a little.

the city is just overpacked.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

ok....
    The bright side of living in LA is that if I can drive in LA, I can drive anywhere.
    I take ant-acid to offset green house gas from my 4unner.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    And I thought Boston was pretty bad too?
    i fully expected it to be on the list

but its really only bad at peak hours and the big dig stuff has eased congestion a little.

the city is just overpacked.
    They finished the Big Dig?

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1
    ok....
    The bright side of living in LA is that if I can drive in LA, I can drive anywhere.
    very true...

with one exception. ive noticed when i go to portland, OR, everyone drives the speed limit. here, you never think twice about doing 70 or 75 in a 65 mph zone, but up there everyone drives the speedlimit. its crazy!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast