Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new to 3rd gen, need some directions

new to 3rd gen, need some directions

well, got the 99 SR5 over the weekend, now the planning starts, i need some advise from you seasoned 3rd gen owners.

first, i'm not into rock crawling, level 2 is the most i'd consider. right now, it's bone stock, with new clutch and new A/T tires. i'm planning on getting the following:

1. front bumper: i like the look of TJM-17 but too much money and too heavy. tube bumper in the front at least for now, keep the weight low.
    2. rear bumper: box type rear bumper, so far, i like the one BruceTS made THE most, without the tire carrier.
    3. sliders: i have a brand new in box Trail Gear sliders, just need to be welded
    4. lift: oh, boy!! with all the options out there, i think the SS1.2 would be the best, expensive yet proven to be solid in and out.
    5. skid: downey
    6. fluids: ordered RedLine GL-5 for the diff's, and MT-90 for TC and Trans, i had them in my 94, couldn't be happier with the Redline's. they are going in next week.
    7. lighting: having astigmatism makes me a sucker of bright lights. i'd love to do an HID conversion, but i have zero idea on how.

any comments? specially, which is the right order on those projects i should follow.

thanks.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Re: new to 3rd gen, need some directions

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen

first, i'm not into rock crawling, level 5 is the most i'd consider.

1. front bumper: i like the look of TJM-17 but too much money and too heavy. tube bumper in the front at least for now, keep the weight low.

2. rear bumper: box type rear bumper, so far, i like the one BruceTS made THE most, without the tire carrier.

3. sliders: i have a brand new in box Trail Gear sliders, just need to be welded

You do realize the rating system used on offroad trails is 1 to 5. 1 being easiest and 5 being hardest....

Actually the TJM-17 is your best bet for a light bumper, they appear to be heavy, but are made with 11 guage steel......

As for rear bumper, I got your PM, but haven't had a chance to respond.....

The sliders you got.... what is the overall length? ....60" is too short, you need 66"
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Bruce,

i edited the skill levels, i thought they were ranging from 1 to 10.

i've been a fan of TJM-17 for a long time, i even had Steve at SS quoted me last week shipped. i have a jeep pre-runner bumper i bought for cheap laying at my garage, i think i'll try cut some 1.5" .120 wall tubing see if i can weld them together, if it turns out ok, i'll keep it, if not, then TJM, baby!!

i'll check on the length of the sliders later.

thanks.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen

first, i'm not into rock crawling, level 5 is the most i'd consider.

You do realize the rating system used on offroad trails is 1 to 5. 1 being easiest and 5 being hardest....

Actually the TJM-17 is your best bet for a light bumper, they appear to be heavy, but are made with 11 guage steel......

As for rear bumper, I got your PM, but haven't had a chance to respond.....

The sliders you got.... what is the overall length? ....60" is too short, you need 66"
    true for the west, but in colorado its 1-10

some parks east they use ski slope signs like black, blue, green, double black diamond... blah blah

pretty much ranges wherever.. damnit cant type with broke hand
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

some parks east they use ski slope signs like black, blue, green, double black diamond... blah blah

pretty much ranges wherever..

Sorry but the offroad trail rating system has always been on a scale of 1 to 5

0.0 - Paved Roads
    * These are paved roads suitable for everyday traffic.

0.5- Back Roads
    * These are paved roads that may have filled or unfilled potholes. Typical paved county roads.

1.0- Maintained Dirt Road
    * These roads are graded or maintained year round. Typical non-paved county roads.

1.5- Semi Maintained Dirt Roads
    * These roads are occasionally graded or maintained. They may cross sandy washes and sections may be rough (washboards).

2.0 - Easy 2WD/4WD
    * Features trails with obstacles that are easy to navigate. In optimum weather conditions, these trails may not require the continual use of four-wheel drive (4WD).

2.5 - Easy 4WD
    * Moderately demanding trails on which 4WD will be required. You may encounter a wide variety of challenges (Potholes, minor washouts, medium size rocks, and mud holes) on these trails. Higher ground clearance and Off-Road tires are recommended.

3.0 - Standard 4WD
    * Standard 4WD trail: Demanding trails on which 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Possible with stock 4WD vehicle, however, recommend traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Low range gears used often. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

3.5 - Challenging 4WD
    * Challenging trails on which low range 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Not recommended with stock 4WD vehicle. Traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure highly recommended. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

4.0 - Difficult
    * These trails traverse very rugged terrain; low-range 4WD is required. Higher than stock ground clearance is required. Aggressive tread and low air pressure are required. Traction Devices (Lockers or limited-slip) in the differentials (front and rear), lift, and larger tires are highly recommended. These trails require above average Off-Road driving skills. High-Lift jacks and winches would also be helpful. There will likely be paint damage and possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage.

4.5 - Extreme
    * These trails cross extremely rugged terrain with very steep inclines, large boulders, and potentially dangerous situations. These trails require modified vehicles, including lift, lockers, and over-sized tires. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. There will likely be paint damage, possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage. There are possibilities of rollovers. Winches are recommended.

5.0 - Impassable
    * These trails are for the extreme four-wheeler only. These trails require highly modified vehicles, including lift, excellent articulation, lockers front and rear, large tires with aggressive tread, winches, high lift jacks. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. Paint damage is virtually guaranteed, body and/or mechanical damage is very likely. Rollovers will be more common on these trails and a winch will be used on at least one obstacle.

more links

http://www.expeditionswest.com/resou...ail_rating.htm
    http://www.azrockcrawler.com/_images...ailrating.html

even the symbol system is on a scale of 1 to 5
    http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_...ifficulty.html
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

trail gear sliders for 4runners are 60" long. they should be longer but ive been on some decent rock trails with my lil 32" tires and never had the length be an issue.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

the 60 inch will be ok, its what i have, and most others who bought theirs prior to about nov 07 when i noticed that they could be longer.

as for skid plates, i dont really like anything downey makes, take a look at budbuilt. never heard ANY complaints other than the bolts

as for driving lights, maybe a pair of hella 4000 with a hid conversion,
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i always thought colorado was a scale of 1-10
    look here.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner202020

i always thought colorado was a scale of 1-10
    look here.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
    Here in PA We have the color scale.
    Green is easy
    Dark Green is Moderate
    Blue is Advanced
    Red is "You better have a locker and 35+ tires"
    Black is "Damage will occur! Need Winch, 40+ tires double locked"

1) Bumpers I have no input on, I am a fan of the shockworks, I thought that was light?
    2) Rear bumper, Bruce is your man.
    3) Sliders: Everyone has given there input on it, I just measured and yeah 66 looks to be a better alternative.
    4) Lift: Sean is currently Running the lift equivalent to the one your looking into, I still have it waiting to go on (going to get it powder coated to stand out )
    5) Skids, Budbuilt and Skid Row, both look very strong, and like Sean I just don't really like anything Downey
    6) Fluids you seem pretty set on so no need for input there.
    7) What state are you in? Cause Lights could be a very fun issue (Ask Me How I Know.......:rollseyes The 500 are decent for jsut some little extra umph, but the 4000 with the HID conversion like Sean said can be fun, I believe it was Bruce that did this, and there is a thread somewhere on it, Correct me ladies and gents if I am wrong.

As for anything else to consider, depending on where you are, the Diff breather mod would be nice if you come in contact with water and mud.
    IF you want a little more upmh from your engine and want to make is sound pretty cool in the process, there is the Deckplate mod, assited with the ISR mod <----this one can =go either way, some like and some don't

As for the order to do it all, the jury is still out on there.
    A lot of guys will say do the lift first, others would say do the armor first.
    Me, I am kind of all doing it at once, but before all of that I will be getting a locker, if you don't have something to look into, cause a stock right with a locker will get farther then a lifted truck with and open diff (Again ask me how I know )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast