Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new to 3rd gen, need some directions

Re: new to 3rd gen, need some directions

should i do the lift first? or does it metter. for my understanding amoung all these projects i'm planning, the lift would be costing the most. i just paid cash for the vehicle, lift has to wait a bit. my fear is if i did the other stuff first then come back doing the lift, the bumpers, skid won't fit any more.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

The bumpers should have no issue with the lift unless you plan on doing a body lift as well.
    The skids on the other hand could be a different story, since the SS list involves a diff drop, you would have to order skids in the long run that fit there with a diff drop.
    I have no skids at the moment (decided to just up and fall off my last little outing) and probably wont get replaced till I get the mounts fixed and the lift on.

I honestly can not tell you which one you should do first.
    I am doing the lift first but thats only because I will be stopping after I get my locker and sliders and 33" tires.

What size tire do you plan on running eventually?

i wanna take advantage of the clear headlight lenses, coverting the current H4/9003 headlights to HID. as for the off-road lights, i have my kick-ass roof rack equipped with 2 PIAA 130W 9" wide halo's and other too 100W round lights.

rear diff breather is on the menue, has anyone done the front, too?

No locker in the near furture, too much money and too little use(for me).

extending the slider by 6" is not a difficult thing to do with a mig and some tubing. just another reason i need to buy a chop saw. lol...

tires? 32" for now.

94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

heres a good reference site for converting to HIDs:

http://wecool.net/home/Lights/4RunnerRetro.htm

I've read that porsche projectors look best in our 4Runner light housings because they are bigger than most (3" diameter)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen
    i wanna take advantage of the clear headlight lenses, coverting the current H4/9003 headlights to HID. as for the off-road lights, i have my kick-ass roof rack equipped with 2 PIAA 130W 9" wide halo's and other too 100W round lights.

extending the slider by 6" is not a difficult thing to do with a mig and some tubing. just another reason i need to buy a chop saw. lol...

tires? 32" for now.
    The HID are cool yes, but can be illegal.
    But that never stopped anyone, including myself, since when I eventually change headlamps I will be doing the converstion.

Sweet set up on the lights, you should be all good there.

IIRC the 3rd gen already have a front ext. diff breather, and I think even the 99+ have a transfer case breather.
    The following image shows the front diff breather:

Located on the left side of the engine bay near the wheel well.

There is one there cause I have a 97, but I know on my stepdads 02' he has 2 breathers there.

Word on the locker, I actually need it here for the trails so.

Ah, cool that you have the skills to extend the sliders

You should be good with your current susupension set up for the 32s.
    IIRC Andy (bamachem) on of the Staff here on the site is running 32s on his current 99 4Runner with no lift, I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett

I've read that porsche projectors look best in our 4Runner light housings because they are bigger than most (3" diameter)
    Great Link Garrett!

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

tires? 32" for now.
    The HID are cool yes, but can be illegal.
    But that never stopped anyone, including myself, since when I eventually change headlamps I will be doing the converstion.

Sweet set up on the lights, you should be all good there.

IIRC the 3rd gen already have a front ext. diff breather, and I think even the 99+ have a transfer case breather.
    The following image shows the front diff breather:

Located on the left side of the engine bay near the wheel well.

There is one there cause I have a 97, but I know on my stepdads 02' he has 2 breathers there.

Word on the locker, I actually need it here for the trails so.

Ah, cool that you have the skills to extend the sliders

You should be good with your current susupension set up for the 32s.
    IIRC Andy (bamachem) on of the Staff here on the site is running 32s on his current 99 4Runner with no lift, I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett

Great Link Garrett!
    you are right on the 32's and a stock set up. 265 75 16's are considered 32's.
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

i ran my 265/75/16 on stock setup. fits perfectly. but now that i have lift and could use a larger tire on the trail it kinda sucks. i should have listened to everyone who gave their input to me, if your going to wheel it more than just an occasional dirt road then get at least 33" either 285/75 or 33x12.5
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

ok, folks, here are some really newbie questions:

1.) where is the fog lamp switch? according to the owner's manual, there should be a switch new the headlight switch, but, no, there isn't one.

2.) which manual trans i have? i've trying to order shifter bushing and socket from Marlin, but their phone lines have been dead for 2 days, my calls went directly to a recording. WTH..

thanks.

ok, folks, here are some really newbie questions:

1.) where is the fog lamp switch? according to the owner's manual, there should be a switch new the headlight switch, but, no, there isn't one.

2.) which manual trans i have? i've trying to order shifter bushing and socket from Marlin, but their phone lines have been dead for 2 days, my calls went directly to a recording. WTH..

thanks.

If it didn't come with fog lights from factory then you need to install the whole switch assembly....

Marlins and crew are out of the shop til next week, he's at the jamboree in Johnson's Valley right now...
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

bruce,

i'm talking about this:
    [img width=800 height=653]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/IMG00097.jpg[/img]

as for Marlin, i just saw the event you mentioned on their website, i'll call them next week.

thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast