Thread: BJ Spacers, UCA Bushings, and 63" Chevies on the Runner

BJ Spacers, UCA Bushings, and 63" Chevies on the Runner

Since I don't have a cohesive build thread on the 4Runner I'm just gonna write up a thread on this stage of the build.

Getting started:

Found my valve cover nut that fell off about January:

Reason for pulling the UCAs.. Maybe this is part of the reason for my truck wandering and that weird clunk in the front:

Cut for BJ spacers (Plasma is a nice innovation):

Got droop now:

The 63" Chevies:

Got back started on it Friday afternoon. Just as I was setting up my tools and such this crap started (view from the garage.. I need a covered work area):

Jason (BeaterToyota) was right.. Stock Samurai shocks are the perfect length for a BJ spaced IFS Yota (the white ones are the Sammys):

Got the stock rear springs out:

New shackle hangers welded up, waiting to cool:

First mock-up with the new springs:

Shackle hangers tacked on, figuring out location for spring hangers.. Ended up being about 11" forward from stock:

We had stability problems with my crappy work surface and this was the solution. Redneck FTW!:

Oh yeah, the only casualty of said stability problems:

Manning up and cutting the frame rails:

What have I done?:

As it sits currently. Waiting for a decent enough stretch of weather to bolt the springs in, set it down to check shackle angles and such, then finish welding and putting it all back together:

I'll post more when I have it.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Re: BJ Spacers, UCA Bushings, and 63" Chevies on the Runner

Nice! Can't wait to see the new flex shots.
    My signature

Ok, I better finish this up...

Just chillin' with no springs:

Mocked up to check shackle angle, spring alignment, etc.:

Shackle angle is perfect. I ended up cutting the front hangers back out though to move them outboard for better alignment.:

Droop:

Here's a tip... When doing something like this ALWAYS take your measurements off of the frame. I was second guessing my whole setup because from eyeballing it by the body the axle is offset to the driver's side by about an inch. But, once I pulled all the measurements again off the frame it all was even and looked good so I welded it all up.

We had some fun burning the old bushings out of the old springs:

I also cut the stock Chevy overloads in front of the perches.

Preliminary stance before I finished adjusting the t-bars:

Testing flex. The only issue I had was the driveshaft rubbing on the gas tank but I had enough adjustment left in my Budbuilt crossmember to get it to clear fine:

It clears fine now and after I got it aligned it drives great! It's nice to not hit the bumpstops all the time. The stock shocks limit my droop a bit but not by much. I plan to play with the placement, length, and angles some.

I finished everything up Wednesday night, got it aligned Thursday morn, packed all my gear and tools up that afternoon, and drove to PA Friday morning. I carried a lot of weight and it handled it just fine and the wheeling was great! The extra travel on both ends was quite noticeable on the trails. I ran most of the blacks at Rausch Creek and it handled them just fine. Some more pics:

Looks great!
    Also looks like you had a blast at Rausch Creek.
    Sorry I couldn't make it, was in NYC all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Looks great!
    Also looks like you had a blast at Rausch Creek.
    Sorry I couldn't make it, was in NYC all weekend.
    Yeah man, I wish you could have made it. Fortunately Jason (BeaterToyota) came and did an awesome job leading us through everything. Hopefully I'll get to wheel with you sometime though...

Yeah, If I ever get my lazy ass to J's and get the lift on.
    Maybe my trial run with my lift can be down there :-)

Dude, I'll probably be hitting Crozet next month sometime.. That's kinda on your way back Lot's of fun there