Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When physics, stubborness and temperment collide...

When physics, stubborness and temperment collide...

So I'm waiting at the bus stop to collect Mrs. Fuster at the end of the day. She rides an express bus to the hospital where she works in the bone marrow transplant unit. As I waited, I decided to plan the next week's activities. I retrieved my schedule book from the center console of the truck and fished around for a pen in the catch-all cup holder dealie. Finding a utensile tucked under several sedimentary items I snatched it from it's burrow only to fumble and juggle it in mid air. I'm not usually a clumsy man, so when the pen bounced off my leg and came to rest on the floor to my left at the sill and door intersection, I became characteristically impatient. Sometimes when a cylindrical thing is caught in a channel shaped location, regarless of any resolve to grasp it, it just slides the length of the channel in one direction or the other while not surrendering it's position; such was the case here. Now my patience was being tortured by the insult of the improbability and the silliness of the event. I just wanted to make some notes!!!!!

Stubborness drove me to frustration as the pen resisted my attempt to pass time effectively. Now I'm getting ticked....well, okay I was in that place between frustrated and angry. I determined that if I was to remove the pen in this lifetime, I would need to open the door. Of course, If I open the door, the pen would then drop on the asphalt surface of the park-and-ride, further searing me with insult. Hmm. Dilemma: Do I fuster around with the pen in it's channel for the next ten minutes, or do I open the door and suffer the humiliation of having to get all the way out of the truck to pick it up after it falls to the ground? I opened the door and as anticipated the pen fell, hitting the tube step thingy, and sending it just out my reach out into the parking lot. Dam.

Now I'm aggravated to the point where I'll be danged if I'm going to expend one ounce more energy than absolutely necessary to get the pen. So I grabbed the steering wheel with my right hand and leaned out of the truck with my left arm as far as I could. Just....alittle.....bit...farther.... Well, at a certain point my center of gravity passed below my backside and being that leather seats provide little friction, my body slipped and I tumbled out of the truck to the asphalt, upside down onto my left shoulder with my knees at my ears.....but I got that pen. Clearly, there was no graceful recovery from such buffoonery, so I rolled over and brought myself to my feet. As I brushed off the dust and pebbles, it occured to me that I was in public. Reflexively, I scanned the lot to see if anyone had seen my performance. Naturally there was someone else waiting for his person to arrive and he must have seen the whole thing. When our eyes met, he busted up laughing. Terribly embarrassed, I retreated to the relative seclusion of my truck. As I did, my glance rested on the cup holder wherein I found another pen....this one distressingly within reach.

Just thought I'd share. :P
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Re: When physics, stubborness and temperment collide...

I would have spited the pen by running it over and leaving it in the searing sun. Take that pen!!
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

and this is why i love fuster sooo much!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That was great!
    95 4Runner- 3.0- A/T- 4.88's- MC rear bumper- Downey skid plate- BJ spacers- LC coils- 32" BFG A/T's- FROR front bumper and frame brace on the way

Great story. And I can relate to your frustration on the simplicity of something that eventually becomes aggravating...
    ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿<br /> Wayne W.<br />2000 4Runner SR5<br />3&quot; Revtek Lift, 265/70R17&#039;s<br />Doug Thorley/Jardine Cat-Back &amp; Injen Intake<br />Doug Thorley Headers<br />Eclipse Head Unit &amp; 2 Phoenix Gold 12&#039;s<br />w/Phoenix Gold 500.2 &amp; custom box

If fuster would just wear his pen in a pocket protector like the rest of us, this likely wouldn't happen and he would retain his dignity.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Hopefully the surveillance cameras were working, so we can find this fine example of grace on youtube shortly...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

LMAO!
    Fuster sir you need to right a book of all your experiences,
    it would be a best seller!

Woah, put on the breaks there. Only if he rights the right book would it be a best seller. Then he could have a nice juicy stake!
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast