Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for my first handgun

Re: Time for my first handgun

Some good articles in Combat Handgun this month.

XD .45acp article: looks like Scott Springer does some good stuff for your XD.
    http://www.springerprecision.com/

And for those who relish to own a Sig:

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...&productid=201

Certified preowned.

This is my next project, find and secure one of these.
    Looks like a great deal.

X2 on the go and try approach. Most gun shops ( at least here) have guns available to shoot in the in house ranges.

I shot a XD at my local shop. Broke the thing after a few shots, hopefully it was because it was a range gun.

If you can see if someone can help you out when you do the check out of possible buys. If you dont or havent shot alot it would be all bad to dismiss a purchase cause of a simple rookie move ie grip stance and what not.

I have had a couple of people next to me have a difficult time with the gun the rented cause they didn't know how to operate it and when they got to the shooting part they didn't do so good simply because they weren't handling the gun properly. Little adjustment in grip and finger placement and things felt alot better.

Good luck

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I've got an XD9 and I like it. It was a toss up between the G17 and G19. My wife doesn't like to shoot my G21 so I was looking for something that would fit her hand, be cheap to shoot and still be fun. The XD won because it was a compromise between the G17 and G19. The compact was too small and the mid size was a little bigger than I wanted. So far I have about 1500 rounds through the XD-9 and have not had one problem, not even a stove pipe. I've been happy, even since ammo prices have gone up. FWIW I shoot white box Winchester from Wally World.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    What is everyones thoughts on Beretta?
    My mom bought a MOD 70 and has a lot of ammo for it for a home safety thing.
    I have held the gun (have yet to fire but will be asking my father to take me to a shooting range either this Thursday) and it feels quite comfortable.
    At least I think, I don't know exactly how its suppose to feel, I mean my grip on it feels good, I guess I will find out more when I fire it.

I am also going to find out what kind of fire arms my father posses, I know he has one revolver that was my uncle and I think a semi-auto, again have to check, I was younger when I held that gun and so it was big to me, again have to check now.

Anyway thoughts?
    Since everyone else ignored you Avy, I'll answer your question

I have a Beretta Model 70 in .32 that I don't shoot that often mainly because mine is a rather rare variant and in brand new condition.. It's a shame because it would be a perfect ankle pistol if I wasn't worried about messing it up Although, it is one of the few compacts that almost fits my big hands (most just feel uncomfortable to me).

I also have a Beretta 92F and it is great. I've put thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction. It's also very easy to clean. However, I prefer the .45 to carry so I have a Kimber 1911 Stainless II for that. Also an excellent yet simple weapon. My next will be an HK USP .45 when I can afford it.

Sean, you will not be dissapointed with the XD. A buddy of mine just got the XD45 as his first handgun and he loves it. Very easy to get used to.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

I just don't have any experience with berettas so I couldn't say anything about them.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by amgraham
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    What is everyones thoughts on Beretta?
    My mom bought a MOD 70 and has a lot of ammo for it for a home safety thing.
    I have held the gun (have yet to fire but will be asking my father to take me to a shooting range either this Thursday) and it feels quite comfortable.
    At least I think, I don't know exactly how its suppose to feel, I mean my grip on it feels good, I guess I will find out more when I fire it.

I am also going to find out what kind of fire arms my father posses, I know he has one revolver that was my uncle and I think a semi-auto, again have to check, I was younger when I held that gun and so it was big to me, again have to check now.

Anyway thoughts?
    Since everyone else ignored you Avy, I'll answer your question

I have a Beretta Model 70 in .32 that I don't shoot that often mainly because mine is a rather rare variant and in brand new condition.. It's a shame because it would be a perfect ankle pistol if I wasn't worried about messing it up Although, it is one of the few compacts that almost fits my big hands (most just feel uncomfortable to me).

I also have a Beretta 92F and it is great. I've put thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction. It's also very easy to clean. However, I prefer the .45 to carry so I have a Kimber 1911 Stainless II for that. Also an excellent yet simple weapon. My next will be an HK USP .45 when I can afford it.

Sean, you will not be dissapointed with the XD. A buddy of mine just got the XD45 as his first handgun and he loves it. Very easy to get used to.
    Thanks Anthony!
    I will be talking to my dad today,
    maybe next week he can get me to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I just don't have any experience with berettas so I couldn't say anything about them.
    Thats what I figured, you gents know a lot about the XDs and the beretta I have is a relic like Anthony said lol

i just noticed we dont have any pictures on this thread... lets fix that, post some pics of your handguns along with a brief description.

Smith and Wesson Military and Police .40
    comes with two magazines and three different grips, so most people will find a grip that fits their hand well.

Smith and Wesson Model 637 .38 snub nose (2" barrel) 5 rounds
    perfect for pocket or ankle concealed carry

Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

and before i get flamed for putting the revolver in the case loaded, it is never in the case (loaded) i just put it in there for the pic before returning it to my truck.
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12