Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank relocation

Re: Fuel Tank relocation

Forgive my ignorance, please. I want to do the same thing, oh yes, more then you wager. When I have the work experience, it would be great to fit a tank that allows for long-range travel.

But one question - this doesn't introduce a Crown Victoria scenario when hit from behind, does it? I believe they burst into flames because of some bolts flying loose and contacting the tank, causing sparks or something similar. What about this set-up? I know Jeeps (YJ/TJ anyway) have the tank in the rear right behind the bumper, too.

PS. what I meant to say is that the Jeeps don't blow up
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

The tank is from a 95 Ford F150 from a salvage yard...

As for safety issues, anytime a tank is behind the rear wheels, there is a chance that it can rupture in a rearend accident. To reduce this possibility, I'll be adding a skid plate. In my case most passenger car will simply go underneath my bumper since it's so high up, avoiding a direct impact with the tank. Now if a larger vehicle hits me, then the crumple zone comes into effect folding the back section of the frame, so I doubt the tank will rupture even then. It would take quite an impact for the tank to get damaged, considering the bumper is the first line of protection, besides how many Ford F-150's have you heard about bursting into flames from a rear impact?
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Here's the new harness, I still may need to drop the tank to adjust the float, when I do I'll get a shot of the modified sending unit.

I cut the hardline going to the old tank, then attached some fuel 5/16" injection hose to extend the new tank. I used 1/4" hoses for the return and emissions....

Got some 2" to fabricate the fuel filler tube.

Now that I don't have the factory tank, it frees up the underside. Time to remove the crossmembers, clock the T-case and go flat belly......

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Oh so sweet!
    I think there was someone on TTORA selling the adapter to clock the case (could be wrong)

Why is it that the tank on the 4Runners hand so much lower then the tacos?
    I really should start looking for a tank to do this mod.

Will the stock tank not fit between the frame tails back there? I think it will on a first gen.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

too narrow and tall i think, so it would still hang down a bit.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

When I get ready fo this, Ill want to find a tank that holds a little more than the stock 14G. Ive always thought about going with something custom, strong enough to rest the vehicle weigh on a rock, when I looked into it, the build would be about $500, but remember, I have NO skills, and no equipment.
    This looks like it would cost a lot less
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    When I get ready fo this, Ill want to find a tank that holds a little more than the stock 14G. Ive always thought about going with something custom, strong enough to rest the vehicle weigh on a rock, when I looked into it, the build would be about $500, but remember, I have NO skills, and no equipment.
    Your stock tank is 14 Gallons?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    it does now
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Ill want to find a tank that holds a little more than the stock 14G.
    it does now
    I sense a story about a dented gas tank? LOL!
    I was just looking at mine, and man things do hang very low under our Runners!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast