Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firestik SS-204A Door Jam mount

Re: Firestik SS-204A Door Jam mount

Keep in mind that a spring, although necessary, will add height to the system. Also, you want a good amount of antenna to extend past the roof line. Although not necessary it will increase your range and cut down on feedback. I went with a lil wil magnetic mount on my roof. The mount does not extend past the factory roof rack rails so clearance isn't a problem. I think the antenna is about 3 feet tall. It's a whip that can be taken out really easy. I just keep mine under my rear cargo mat. I used to use fiberglass antennas and never got any performance out of them. I had a tuned radio and tried 3 different models. They're heavy, swing around a lot and can break. I broke one and shattered the inside of another and they were both on mild trails. So mild I think I had hit the antenna harder on my garage before. I think that on a 4runner it's too much work to make that mount work, spring, bunge cord, tennis ball and a bunch of screws.

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/lilwil.htm

Well - it looks like I may not go with the fiberglass antenna afterall. After speaking with a number of people locally, it appears the fiberglass has one major downfall due to my location. In winters, it gets quite cold here and can cause the fiberglass to shatter if hit with anything (internally so i wouldnt even know if it did happen until i realized there was no more performance).

Looks like its going to be a toss up now between the "lil wil" or the K40 with the M40 magnet mount...
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Keep in mind that a spring, although necessary, will add height to the system. Also, you want a good amount of antenna to extend past the roof line. Although not necessary it will increase your range and cut down on feedback.
    Adding height also adds to the wavelength of the antenna and may give a bad Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) which is bad for the finals on a radio. Tune it! with a meter. Also keep in mind that radio waves have a hard time going through metal panels (especially 26-27 mhz). Having a metal panel next to your antenna will send the waves in the opposite direction of the panel, thus making your radio more directional.

Also keep in mind that radio waves have a hard time going through metal panels (especially 26-27 mhz). Having a metal panel next to your antenna will send the waves in the opposite direction of the panel, thus making your radio more directional.
    Hence the suggestion for the magnet mount roof top whip. Most guys I see with a fiberglass antenna on the rear hatch or bumper only have about a foot extending past the roof line. This might work well for close trail communication but I don't think that it would work worth beans for longer distances unless your talking to someone behind you. I could be wrong as I haven't run this set up but I have had great performance from a Wilson 1000 and a Lil Wil and neither have been tuned, I just stick it in and go. Both antennas had 98-100% of the whip above the roof line.

In winters, it gets quite cold here and can cause the fiberglass to shatter if hit with anything (internally so i wouldnt even know if it did happen until i realized there was no more performance).
    This happened to me and it was in the middle of the summer. At about 5 miles and hour I hit a beam on the roof of a parking structure. It was the first time I had been in it so I was driving slow hanging my head out the window to watch the antenna. It cleared but was pushed back a bit. When it passed the beam it whipped back and hit it way harder than on the way under, snap. You could actually see where the vinyl had bulged where the fiberglass broke.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU MOUNT THAT MOUNT!
    Also choose your antenna wisely and get a spring.

I chose the wrong antenna and didn't ad a spring till later and this is what happen...
    First time it was mounted to high and I didn't have a spring, the antenna was too heavy and it just tore in the wind...

Then the second time I mounted it lower and still had the same antenna but a spring, the antenna was just to big and heavy and messed that mount up too.

That little curve weld is actually broken.
    I need to shave down that second and fix it up.
    and maybe then weld the mount in place.

For now I just bolted the antenna right to the bumper right to the bumper.

Just food for thought and consideration.
    Hi Avy, do you have any more details on what antenna setup you used that messed up the mount? I want to error on the side of caution if I mount there. Thanks, D
    1997 4Runner 3.4L Auto 4x4

First Antenna was a huge 5 Foot Wilson with no spring.
    That was so stressful on it that it opened the holes i drilled wider.

The second antenna I had was a 4 foot Wilson with a spring.
    That was alright until I hit the trails and started going down the highway faster.
    The force of the antenna moving every where started to pull on the metal.
    to the point that that little S Curve there broke.

I am actually going to be sticking with a magnetic mount for now till I get a real rear bumper built.

My friend with a second gen took a straight piece of steel and ran it off the rear bumper back
    His seems to be doing just fine.
    I can't do that cause I have to much of a curve on the rear bumper.

ill sell you a cb mount if you want. lol.

i really dislike those firestik mounts...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

FWIW I looekd at Avys personally more than once and that spot just isnt strong enough for a decent antenna and mount. We had some ideas like plating it with some mild steel to spread the load out more but in the end it was to much of a hassle.

The one Sean has I like, problem is again its in that spot and imho the steel there for the body is weak.

I mounted mine to my truckbox using a firestick no ground plane antenna and have been very happy with it. I have a 4ft firestick II and a nice spring and no issues. It gets loose sometimes if I wack it around on trees and junk if I dont crank it down when I first put it on tho.

When we went on a trip to rausch creek like a year ago I had such good reception I was picking up truckers miles and miles away even with trying to tune them all out. Does help I bought a nice SWR tuner..

I bought all my stuff at a place online called walcott cb, good prices and fast shipping and they answered my Q fast. Putting a CB on is cake really, tuning it is VERY easy if you read the book. Heck, just tune the tip (whole point of the tunable tips on the fiberglass ones) till you get a good reading on the channels.

As for the antenna shattering, it gets MIGHTY cold here too and mine never missed a beat. The proper spring is key.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Thanks Avy, Sean, and CJM. I don't want to drill into the body unless I really want it there and know it will last. Your info is much appreciated. D
    1997 4Runner 3.4L Auto 4x4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast