Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gas guage says losing gas quickly (guage is correct...now a mileage problem)

gas guage says losing gas quickly (guage is correct...now a mileage problem)

filled up with gas today and then came home, left again an hour later and the gas guage says i'm already halfway between full and three quarters. it does move some as i drive depending on if the truck is level, which is normal. but it seems to move a little extra or maybe i'm noticing it more since i'm worried i'm losing gas some how. there isn't any evidence of a leak under the truck or around the tank, and i don't smell any gas in the area, but the guage now reads just above three quarters so its definitely dropped more than just the normal movement from being unlevel. is there a way to tell if my float is stuck? what else could be wrong? any and all suggestions much appreciated. wanna get this figured out asap, not rich enough to afford to be losing gas

Re: gas guage says losing gas quickly

Odd quwstion, bust did you install any aftermarket lights laltly?

I had the same problem, dude to a losse ground somewhere, every time I turned off my lights my gas gauge would drop.

Just a thought.

the last 6 months or so ive noticed if i pull the filler nozzle out when it first clicks off, im not actually full. i let it drain into the tank and then click it again till it stops, this usually gets me to full. just an idea to throw out there.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i haven't installed anything, but i may have some wiring still ran from lights in uninstalled so i'll check to see if anything is funky there.

as far as filling the tank, i filled a bit more after the first click, didn't take much to round to the next dollar which is what i usually do. I'm going to run it today and tomorrow and try to fill up again tomorrow and see if the tank holds as much as the gauge says it should. that way i'll know if its the gauge that's messed up or if i'm really losing gas some how.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    the last 6 months or so ive noticed if i pull the filler nozzle out when it first clicks off, im not actually full. i let it drain into the tank and then click it again till it stops, this usually gets me to full. just an idea to throw out there.
    Mine has been doing that for the past year.
    Its really freakin annoying.
    Stepdads 02 doesn't do it.
    How I envy that runner more and more...

get a locking gas cap . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    get a locking gas cap . . .
    Haha, yea. Its probably the kid across the street steeling gas for his go-cart.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

haha........ kid must be hiding in the bed of the truck and stealing it while i'm driving then

Try running it until its about to run out of gas, fill up, should be VERY close to 18.5 gallons. If that works, reset the trip odo, and drive around till about half a tank or so (better if you could do it contiusously, but I know nobody likes to waste gas (but this was we can rule out the stolen gas route) then go back, and fill it up again, and divide the number of miles you drove by the amount of gas your truck to fill up, and see if it seems right. If so, I would just keep a close eye on that gauge, if not.... then come back.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Once you sort out the fuel consumption figures look into the fuel sender unit. It might just be going bad. All you need to do is pull it off and just run an ohm meter test on it. Check your high and low settings in your FSM (Field Service Manual) to determine if the high/low numbers are hitting on the ohm meter. If it does not then you know what you need to replace. If not, I'm not sure.

My bet is that your fuel sender unit has gone bad.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast