Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergy season is here!!!!

Allergy season is here!!!!

So, allergies suck, I don't think anyone would disagree with me.

What are your techniques to combat them? Zyrtec, which is now OTC, doesn't do wonders for me, it can help, but not much. Good ol' benadryl works pretty good, but the drowsiness doesn't bode well for me at work.

I have yet to make it into the doctor to find out about any other meds out there, if you do have prescriptions, let me know which ones work. I have tried allegra 180, flonase, etc, etc. and have yet for anything to really stand out.

Grass is the primary allergy that just kills me, I had to do some weed eating:

After getting done with this, getting kicked in the face by a horse would have made me feel better.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Allergy season is here!!!!

I presume you have tired Claritin-D already?
    I remember one summer I got the hugest allergy attack, practically everything Air borne would attack me.
    It seem to at least hold back most of it.

Just my .02 on the subject, allergies stink!

i dont know if your insurance covers it (if you are fortunate enough to have insurance) but when i was younger i got allergy shots, i was allergic to everything, including dogs and cats and grass and smoke and you name it, i was allergic to it.

a year worth of shots and i can sleep in the grass next to my dog with a cat on my chest and not even feel anything
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Allegra-D pills and astelin spray
    Cupholder Mod

It would be terrible to have summer allergies. I get allergies from early April to early June. I just about pray for summer to start just so the allergies can end. Ragweed starts it and everything else follows, cats, dust, etc. It gets pretty terrible, every morning I wake up and just about cough my lungs out. My eyes are are always leaking and I want to rip my throat out because it's THAT itchy.

I've about tried everything too. Claritin/D , Singulair, Zyrtec, Flonase, Allergra-D. Dimedrol (Benadryl stateside).

In my experience: Allegra D works best. The 400mg tablets are supposed to be taken every 12 hours. I take 'em every 6-7. It wasn't always this way , I guess I developed an immunity to it over the years. Makes me want to sleep, but, not benadryl sleepy, which is the next best thing but I can only take if I know I'm not driving anywhere, etc.

I'm with Runnerup, if your health insurance covers allergy shots ( I didn't have health insurance this season ) , go for it! The results are not instantaneous, actually, it takes a while and up to a year to see results. But, yeah - cats, dust, dogs, grass and whatnot, after about a year it becomes a non-issue. Which is great, because I'm sure 4x 400mg Allegra D does not do good things to my liver.

Good luck!

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

No No Sir Fuster if your gonna put a picture, make it count!

i rock the Claritin/Claritin-D when its so bad i cant stand it, otherwise i just man up and deal with it, aint pleasant, but i dont really like medication. i figure people have dealt with these allergies for thousands of years, i can manage too.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yeah I like the Claritin products too..I like that they are non-drowsy. All that other crap makes you feel like a damn zombie.

I suffer from the sinus pressure crap so if its not the medicine making me feel that way...the headaches and pressure make me feel like I'm on another planet anyhow.
    ~Kyle<br /><br />2004 Xcab Tacoma 4x4, diff locker, mostly stock for now...

you guys are lucky that Claritin works for you! For some reason or another, it has zero effect on me, good or bad.

The OTC decongestant, pseudoephedrine, makes me super loopy. I get the full side effects. Nervous and twitchy, it's a feeling that I simply do not like.

I read about a new medication that's out, 3rd gen antihistamine, Xyzal. Seems to be a bit better than Zyrtec, very similar chemical structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levocetirizine

I've got the name of an allergist one of my coworkers uses and hopefully will be able to get in soon and figure this crap out!!!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast