Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: driveshaft hitting gas tank?

driveshaft hitting gas tank?

now ill start off by saying my gas tank is a lil smushed. when my left rear tire is compressed while flexing the driveshaft hits the gas tank a little. i was just curious if any other 3rd gen runners out there have this issue.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Re: driveshaft hitting gas tank?

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    now ill start off by saying my gas tank is a lil smushed. when my left rear tire is compressed while flexing the driveshaft hits the gas tank a little. i was just curious if any other 3rd gen runners out there have this issue.
    I have read of a few guys having this issue.
    I think they either bashed that part of the skid in or just too the old one off and make a better one that would clearance the drive shaft.
    I didn't have this issues which I was surprised, and I was def at full stuff a lot.

You have the complete Sonoran Steel Kit or did you piece together your own?

Get under there, pull the d-shaft (it's just 8 bolts) and then take a BFH and pound in the skid plate where it contacts the DS, then replace the driveshaft, you're good to go!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    i did. i used a cutoff wheel and cut a square out so it would stop rubbing. then i hammered the surrounding area in. i didnt need to remove the dshaft to do this.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Pound it for more clearance x2. Bumpstops !. A 2" body lift cures it on 1st gen, cause you cut the brackets and bolt it back up ( I dont advise this without a motor swap to go with it). Go big and go fuel cell.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    I have read of a few guys having this issue.
    I think they either bashed that part of the skid in or just too the old one off and make a better one that would clearance the drive shaft.
    I didn't have this issues which I was surprised, and I was def at full stuff a lot.

You have the complete Sonoran Steel Kit or did you piece together your own?
    the only thing i have from sonoran is the rear brake line. the rest i peiced together.

i made a skidplate for the tank and clearanced the shit out of it so the the elocker guard and differential yoke wont hit it, which are rediculously close to the tank. it was fine untill the takeover when the driveshaft caught an edge of the skiplate i made and bent it so that it was hitting constantly. so on trail 13 b i got under my truck pulled the rear of the shaft out of the way and used the BFH method. it worked fine untill this past weekend when it starting hitting lightly again. i can clearance more of the skidplate i suppose and smash the tank away from it. i was more curious to see if others have or were having this problem. i wasnt sure if it was cuz mine is all deformed or if its just what happens with 3rd gen runners when they flex out.

do you have the adjustable pan hard bar?
    That might help the issue?

my dshaft weight hits the gas tank skid when i flex, but it because i folded out that section of the skid on a rock.

i also hit the rear corner of the skid on the 3rd/dshaft flange.

im working on making a new skid, just havent got around to it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    do you have the adjustable pan hard bar?
    That might help the issue?
    good idea, but i have the panhard drop bracket

ive been tossing around the idea of a fuel cell, but still want to use the factory fuel filler tube. just not sure how to go about it yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast