Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: driveshaft hitting gas tank?

Re: driveshaft hitting gas tank?

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    ive been tossing around the idea of a fuel cell, but still want to use the factory fuel filler tube. just not sure how to go about it yet.
    You should just relocated the gas tank to the rear where the spare tire use to mount.
    BruceTS did this with I believe the gas tank from a Ford F-150
    You might want to pm him on the details.

If you can stand the noise get a button zerk that won't sheer off. I also cut a square out of the skid as mentioned above. Many of us have this problem and have learned to cope.
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

You should just relocated the gas tank to the rear where the spare tire use to mount.
    BruceTS did this with I believe the gas tank from a Ford F-150
    You might want to pm him on the details.
    i will thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vermejo
    If you can stand the noise get a button zerk that won't sheer off. I also cut a square out of the skid as mentioned above. Many of us have this problem and have learned to cope.
    i cope with alot but im not gonna cope with my brand new $1100 elocker hitting my gas tank. the yoke drags on it and the part of my driveshaft that hits is where the u joint is so it grabs the one of the 2 ears as it spins around and is quite violent sounding.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

smash and or cut the skid, and call it a day

I mean you cant move the locker, or the d-shaft.... so move the skid, one way or antoher....
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I was just addressing your driveline contact.
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

I had a bump stop issue that led to my drive shaft making contact with the gas tank skid, this is right after I went with longer shocks. Sheared the 6mm zerk clean off. I ended up cutting a square out of the gas tank skid and re-positioned a bump stop. Hopefully that will fix it.

Steve over at Sonoran suggested just putting a 6mm plug in place of the zerk and to just put a zerk in when you are greasing everything.
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&amp;R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by 97kurt
    I had a bump stop issue that led to my drive shaft making contact with the gas tank skid, this is right after I went with longer shocks. Sheared the 6mm zerk clean off. I ended up cutting a square out of the gas tank skid and re-positioned a bump stop. Hopefully that will fix it.

Steve over at Sonoran suggested just putting a 6mm plug in place of the zerk and to just put a zerk in when you are greasing everything.
    so you dont know if the bump stop helped with the rubbing yet? i just sheared the zerk fitting off a 2nd time. i thought bumpstops may help but i dont wanna loose any travel in the rear, this thing flexes great right now.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

ya i had this problem too... u took off the skid and just cut that whole side off front to rear cause it was hitting farther up too.

bobby
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

i'm with these guys, brian. banging it back doesn't fix it. just cut that trouble area of the skid.

I have the same problem. I just figured that the zerk got knocked off by a rock but now that I'm thinking about it I don't remember seeing any scratches on the drive shaft. I reconnected my rear sway bar and that helped but it still rubs when I'm flexed out. I also noticed my pan hard drop bracket shifted to the driver's side a little from flexing out. Next time I'm under there I might shift the pan hard bar a little to the passenger side and weld it back into place. Maybe that'll help a little.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast