Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone rebuilt a tranny? any advice on what to do

has anyone rebuilt a tranny? any advice on what to do

bascilly i am rebuilding my tranny but do not know anything about it. can any of you guys give me some advice on what to do before i start and what to use either gear lub or tranny fluid to put back in when i rebuild it. thanks for helping if you can
    chicks dig body damage<br />86 pickup

Re: has anyone rebuilt a tranny? any advice on what to do

Share a little more info on the truckb and I am sure you will get a few more responses

What's wrong with it again? What did it do?

if it's a manual trans (it is right?) use gear lube. run cheap 80-90 lube for the first hundred miles, then drain it for Red Line MT manual trans fluid. you'll probably need a hydraulic press and a "bearing separator" to get the gears off the main, counter, and output shafts.

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Is it auto or manual ? If its a manual then get a good made in Japan kit. If its auto then my only advice is, find a mechanic. Though auto's are not hard, they do take a few special tools, lintless rags, and patience.

I'm in a similar situation as Chris. I have 5 speed manual out of my 83 pick up. I was considering rebuilding it, but wasn't sure how hard it would be. Are there any good write ups, preferably with pictures, out there?

Oh and Chris' tranny is a manual out of an 86 pick up.

it is an 86 toyota and it need a rebuild kit on it

Quote Originally Posted by chrisyota65
    bascilly i am rebuilding my tranny but do not know anything about it. can any of you guys give me some advice on what to do before i start and what to use either gear lub or tranny fluid to put back in when i rebuild it. thanks for helping if you can
    So wait, you dont know anything about the trans or you dont know how to rebuild a tranny?

Honestly rebuilding a tranny isnt that simple at all, an auto trans is a real pain imho, a motor is easier. A manual trans isnt that hard, but still no walk in the park. If you have never done so, I highly suggest you look into a shop to rebuild it.

Now, if you have a clue: Go look at your vin sticker. I think its either in the doorjamb or the hood on the firewall. This will tell you which tranny you have. Take it from there, I would suggest a full service manual on rebuilding it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

yea basically he has no clue what hes doing, or what is wrong with it.

i thought you were going to get a shop to do it for you?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

naw to expensive and i need it done before fun in the desert witch is a month away and have it done for pismo too.

Start here.

http://www.drivetrain.com/toyota_W_4_5spd.html

Try finding a used one. I just saw two on craigslist one for $250, and another with a t-case for $350.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast