Thread: Need info on a couple things about my 02 Runner Sport...

Need info on a couple things about my 02 Runner Sport...

I have a couple questions concerning my new (to me) 2002 Sport Edition 4Runner.

1. Let me begin by saying that my 4Runner is completely stock, nothing as been touched. However, I've noticed the truck has a pretty noticeable lean towards the drivers side. Is this normal?

2. I made a post maybe a month ago about hearing a buzz then a "tick" after starting up. I think most people said that was normal...something starting up/engaging. However, I hear it more then just after starting. I probably hear it 4-5 times on my way to work. 2 times after start up, but i also hear it under breaking and after or during accelerating, not all to times, but sometimes. Normal as well??

Thanks.

Edit Rocko: Changed Title
    2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

Re: Couple things...

I changed the title of your thread... Ambigious thread title aren't very helpful to readers who may have an answer for you, nor are they very helpful for those who may be in a similar situation andsearching for info later down the road.

Now, in reference to your post...

1) The infamous drivers side lean. It is due to extra wieght on that side of the truck all the time... i.e- you. Saggy suspension is fixable if replaced, up to you.
    2) DOn't know what that is, but does not sound normal to me....
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Need info on a couple things about my 02 Runner Sport...

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    I changed the title of your thread... Ambigious thread title aren't very helpful to readers who may have an answer for you, nor are they very helpful for those who may be in a similar situation andsearching for info later down the road.

Now, in reference to your post...

1) The infamous drivers side lean. It is due to extra wieght on that side of the truck all the time... i.e- you. Saggy suspension is fixable if replaced, up to you.
    2) DOn't know what that is, but does not sound normal to me....
    thanks...ill see if i can find my post about the ticking noise...maybe someone else could chime in
    2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

Found it:

Anyway, on to my question. Now, keep in mind this is my first 4Runner, actually first Toyota for that matter, and iv noticed something ever since i got it. In the morning, right after turning the truck on, there is a very light hum that comes from, what seems like, the lower part of the engine bay, followed by a small "tick". This happens maybe 2-3 times each time the truck has sat overnight or during the day. This could be something completely normal but like it said, this is my first 4Runner, so i'm not familiar with it just yet. any input would be great. thanks!

Stepdad has a 02 sprot as well and I know exactly what you are talking about.

I believe it is the brake system.
    His not only does it in the morning but also everytime he come to stop.

If I had read this thread before I left for my trip to Florida I could have recorded it for comparison.

As for your lean, its time for a new suspension, my 97 first startrd with the beack and then to the drivers side, perfect time for a lift

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Stepdad has a 02 sprot as well and I know exactly what you are talking about.

I believe it is the brake system.
    His not only does it in the morning but also everytime he come to stop.

If I had read this thread before I left for my trip to Florida I could have recorded it for comparison.

As for your lean, its time for a new suspension, my 97 first startrd with the beack and then to the drivers side, perfect time for a lift
    thanks for the insight..as for the suspension, im in the process of getting everything together. i have some OME 881/891 coil springs right now...just waiting for the shocks

That buzz and tick sound is normal. The 2001 and 2002 4Runners have a hydraulic brake booster instead of a vacuum brake booster. There is a small pump/motor unit that pulls brake fluid from the reservoir, and pumps it into an accumulator to keep it under pressure.

This "pressurized" section of brake fluid is what helps you apply your brakes. Everytime you press the brake pedal, a small amount of this "pressurized" fluid moves into your master cylinder and brake lines. When you release the brakes, the excess fluid returns to the reservoir. After applying the brakes a few times (4 to 6), there is a pressure switch that detects low pressure in the accumulator, so the booster pump kicks on (the buzzing or whirring sound). When the pressure is back to normal, the pressure switch shuts the pump off (I think the passenger side clicking is probably the relay snapping off).
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold