View Poll Results: If you were me, would you add more $$$ into fixing up your 2wd 4Runner or wait and buy a 4wd 4Runner

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait for 4WD

10 62.50%
  • Spend it on 2WD

1 6.25%
  • Spend on 2WD and Re-Install on 4WD

1 6.25%
  • Other (Explain)

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Add More $$$ to My 2WD

Should I Add More $$$ to My 2WD

I have come to a confusing decision with my 4Runners future mod plans. Some people say fix it up and so say wait to spend the $$$ on a new 4WD 4Runner.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on this. Since there are both 2WD and 4WD 4Runner owners I think this is best place to ask.

Thank you.
    2005 T4R Silver SR5 V6 4WD with Mods!<br /><br />IFS 4WD Conversion done!

Re: Should I Add More $$$ to My 2WD

Keep your runner, and buy another vehicle to mod. I have always been grateful, that I have a DD and an offroad rig.

What's wrong with the 4runner you have now?

I'd say start looking for a 4wd and spend you money on that. It is definately a buyers market for SUV's and trucks, you should be able to find a great deal if you know what you want and look around
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    What's wrong with the 4runner you have now?

I'd say start looking for a 4wd and spend you money on that. It is definately a buyers market for SUV's and trucks, you should be able to find a great deal if you know what you want and look around
    x2 Keep the Runner you have now, and find another 4wd one To have fun with.

everyone keeps saying buy a second vehicle which is all fine and dandy but if youre like me (i dont know your situation), having a second vehicle was not an option. getting rid of my 2000 2wd 4runner and getting my 2000 4wd TRD taco was one of the best choices i've made as far as wheelin and whatnot goes. sure i miss a couple luxury things on my 4runner but the advantage of 4wd alone outweighs not having a moonroof and 4 doors.
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

take it from someone who as an idiot dumping money into a 2wd, it will make you want to even further with your truck and then you end up converting to 4wd.

my truck is the way i want it, but its costly, you could go that route or just trade up and then get a nice DD car
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

If you really need 4WD to enjoy yourself sell and buy a Tacoma or an older 4Runner. Most of the places I end up going are probably 2WD accessible although I like having the security of 4WD if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    everyone keeps saying buy a second vehicle which is all fine and dandy but if youre like me (i dont know your situation), having a second vehicle was not an option. getting rid of my 2000 2wd 4runner and getting my 2000 4wd TRD taco was one of the best choices i've made as far as wheelin and whatnot goes. sure i miss a couple luxury things on my 4runner but the advantage of 4wd alone outweighs not having a moonroof and 4 doors.
    You can pick up a solid axle rig for 2k and under. You can get a 2,3,4 gen runner for a little more and do a lot less. You even get to put one up in the air

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    You can pick up a solid axle rig for 2k and under. You can get a 2,3,4 gen runner for a little more and do a lot less. You even get to put one up in the air

true. like you and others have said...if you can get a second vehicle then great. i might have gone that route if i had the option but being in college and constantly moving between houston, atlanta, and cincinnati, having two vehicles, paying to park two vehicles, and paying (possibly) to insure two vehicles just wasn't feasible for me. if the option is to only have ONE vehicle then i vote for sell the 2wd and get a 4wd
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

A lot of what you ask really depends on what you ultimately want to do with your 4runner. If it's the fast prerunner stuff then I don't see the real need for a 4wd system. If you to utilize your 4runner to explore areas that require a 4wd then by all means a 4wd would be required.

If you want to do the 4wd stuff then I would say get a second truck if the funds permit as well as the location to store it. Keep in mind that having another vehicle means extra for insurance as well as getting the approval from the "financial manager"

If you decide to go with a 4wd vehicle, you'll have to further explain what you want to do cuz that'll make a enormous difference on which vehicle to purchase. If I can do it all over again, I would recommend a FZJ80 (96-97) with factory front/rear lockers

Hope this helps for starters.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast