Thread: Rookie 4runner Owner, Bought 98 4runner Limited 2WD

Rookie 4runner Owner, Bought 98 4runner Limited 2WD

I know, I know, 2WD but I couldn't pass it up, it was a steal. Bought it at a auto auction for 2K. Runs great so far, Interior is disgusting, previous owner was a drug dealer and had to forfeit the car. I have completely stripped the entire inside interior- vinyl trim moulding, seats, carpet, headliner. I plan on
    installing Raamat, Ensolite and other material to quit down the cabin. Bought some pre-molded carpet and new headliner material, the trim moulding just needs to be cleaned up real good. The seats are leather and tore up, smell pretty bad, looking to get seats from a salvage yard or have them reupholstered depending what's cheaper, any advice? Im having a problem with the disassembly of the sunroof, I need to take the slide off to reupholster it, any ideas? Any ideas on pre-runner conversion?

Re: Rookie 4runner Owner, Bought 98 4runner Limited 2WD

Frist of welcome to UltimateYota!
    Got any pics for us?
    Might look for a salvage yard find, or some one parting out a runner on here or maybe the main board at TTORA.

Where are you located, and what type of wheeling do you think you would be doing?
    or is this rig just going to be more of a show?

If its just for show you could go with a slight OME lift.
    or if you want to do some pre-running style off-roading, there is Total Chaos that has a long travel kit.

Just throwing out a few ideas before I get some more info from you

As for the sunroof, I need a visual personally of what your referreing too

if you want to wheel it hard, perfect opportunity for an SAS! is it an auto or 5spd?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the welcome and advice, I will definitely put some pictures up, is there a place to put pics on my profile? what is SAS? I have a automatic

Quote Originally Posted by cruzmeyers
    I know, I know, 2WD but I couldn't pass it up, it was a steal. Bought it at a auto auction for 2K. Runs great so far, Interior is disgusting, previous owner was a drug dealer and had to forfeit the car. I have completely stripped the entire inside interior- vinyl trim moulding, seats, carpet, headliner. I plan on
    installing Raamat, Ensolite and other material to quit down the cabin. Bought some pre-molded carpet and new headliner material, the trim moulding just needs to be cleaned up real good. The seats are leather and tore up, smell pretty bad, looking to get seats from a salvage yard or have them reupholstered depending what's cheaper, any advice? Im having a problem with the disassembly of the sunroof, I need to take the slide off to reupholster it, any ideas? Any ideas on pre-runner conversion?
    cruz,

welcome to UY! good to have you here.

re sound deadening: sounds like you know what you're doing. but definitely take a look at my writeup at www.4runners.org. there's a writeup called "sound deadening mod". luckily for you, i took a lot of pics also, there's a ton of newbie writeups in there that'll help you get started.

so what's your goal? is this a daily driver? or do you have aspirations to make it into a 4 wheeler? or a solid axle swap (SAS)? it sounds like you just want to make it a daily driver which is fine. however, you can achieve "the look" simply by adding 16" wheels w/ 265/75/16 tires (32's) and a mild performance products lift (1.5") or some 99 4runner springs.

seats: is the padding still in good shape? if yes, you might want to just buy some seat covers. i have some and i like them. a few years back, it seemed that everyone was buying wet okoles. take a look at those too.

sunroof: what are you trying to reupholster?

pics: sign up for photobucket.com or flickr.com. those seem to be the most popular.

solid axle swap. it is more difficult with an auto, but will make your vehicle very capable offroad. if you are just planning to use this as a daily driver, etc. dont worry about it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Welcome!
    Cheers!!!<br /><br />~Nic~<br /><br />Sierra Expeditions<br />www.sierraexpeditions.com<br />1-866-507-4254<br /><br />Slightly Modified 2001 Dbl Cab Tacoma<br />Bantam BT3-C Expedition Trailer