Thread: Californians rejoice! GPS units can once again be windshield mounted

Californians rejoice! GPS units can once again be windshield mounted

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Carmichael
    For the past couple of years, residents of California have been banned from mounting their GPS unit on the windshield in their car. The law was originally put in place because lawmakers were convinced that the GPS units could interfere with a deploying airbag or obstruct a drivers view.

The new law, which goes into effect on January 1st 2009, was signed by Governor Schwarzenegger and permits windshield mounted GPS units in the lower left and right corners. Units mounted anywhere else will still be considered a violation, and drivers may be ticketed if caught (a $108 fine!).

The law is actually quite specific; GPS units must be mounted in the lower 7 inch corner farthest away from the driver, or in the lower 5 inch corner closest to the driver.

Of course, the new law was backed by some industry groups, including representatives of Californian car dealerships, a consumer rights group and even the California Space Authority who represent GPS satellite makers.

The only other state in the country that still bans the use of GPS units mounted anywhere on the windshield, is Minnesota, who currently have no plans to change the law. Alternatives for mounting your GPS on the windshield include using a self adhesive disk on the dashboard which allows the suction cup on the GPS mount to be attached, or a GPS friction beanbag which sits on the dash.
    Source: Gadling.com
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Californians rejoice! GPS units can once again be windshield mounted

"Units can be mounted in the lower left and lower right corners." I hate it when legislators pass laws without using their brains. First of all, how many of us plan to install our GPS's on the lower right side of the windshield? Second, if I mount my GPS on the left side in our Subaru, it will completely impair my vision due to the large instrument cluster. If I could mount it down low in the center of the windshield, everything would be fine, but apparently that is illegal.

go ahead and chalk up yet another point for me not living in the people's republic of california
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

First of all, how many of us plan to install our GPS's on the lower right side of the windshield?
    I do this if I'm the "co pilot." It's easier for me to mount the gps than to hold it or place it somewhere. In my experience a driver that has little to no experience using a gps for driving would rather have a passenger do it.

Also where are you going to stick the GPS after you win the lotto and import your turbo diesel, right hand drive Toyota?

Well, nothing changes for me. I've always placed it in the middle. Didn't even know there was a law against it. Oh well. Ignorance was bliss. Thanks for ruining it for me Lance.

Mine has also been mounted in the middle as long as I have been using one. It will stay that way too.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Mine is in the middle too, and you know what? We've got 2 outta 3 cars with the little disk on the dash, right in the middle, which puts the GPS EXACTLY where it would be if stuck to the window, except, for some mysterious reason, it's legal.

Bizarre.
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

Middle and staying in the middle. Stupid politicians.
    My signature

Mines in the middle but using a ProClip and not on the windshield.

glad they past this law, bought my GPS and forgot all about it.
    Depending on how I feel I will mount it in different places,
    right now in Tess it's in the middle,
    but I have had it on the lower left hand side cause it was easier for me to glance done there then over to the middle (sorta like doing a speed check).
    I guess it also depends on the GPS unit, they all are very different in size and shape,
    middle would be the ideal spot but like Chris said, stupid politicians..