Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap driving lights

cheap driving lights

Everyone's seen those cheap utility lights mounted to the side of a semi or on a tractor, doing a bit of research I found out how to make one of these into a decently bright driving light just by swapping in a new sealed beam. This will provide a cheap, light weight and vibration resistant light to help me avoid all the deer just waiting to jump in front of me when I'm bombing down country roads at night.

The heart of this is this sealed beam, NAPA p/n LMP 4509 (~$15). It's listed as an aircraft spotlight beam, and is rated for 100W at 13V producing 110,000 candlepower - if you can get a full 14V down to them expect a bit more

The rear of the 4509 bulb has screws to secure the wiring

Here's the utility light I'll be using for this (Harbor Freight <$10)

Start by getting the old light out of the rubber housing. Be careful not to chip the light when you pry it out by sliding a screwdriver as far behind it as possible. After you pop one out, you begin to realize that these lights will NOT fall out on their own going down the road.

Here's the light taken apart (note that this one isn't a sealed beam, but uses a regular H3 bulb).

Snip off the black ground wire going to the rivet on the inside, it doesn't provide a good ground and will eventually will fail causing the light to go out.

Here's the new bulb wired and ready to be popped back into the housing. I used 14 gauge wire to connect to my pre-existing light harness which uses 12 gauge from a 40 amp relay. The black ground wire goes to the mounting bolt into the 'runner's frame

It even says "AIRCRAFT" on the back of the bulb

Mounted up with a simple 90 degree bracket to the bolt hole on top of the frame just inside of the body mounts

All finished

I'll get beam pattern shots later when it gets dark, but I can already tell they throw a ton of light. Standing 15' away on a 40 degree day I can feel the heat from the light on my hand . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: cheap driving lights

Those look crazy bright. Is there any chance of melting the rubber housing using the new light?

I was going to say, that while a really cool trick, it looks like your new aircraft lights are going to melt your cheap harbor frieght housings.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Very nice, I did a similar setup a LONG time ago. For the money, they are a great way to put some extra lighting down range while on a budget.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    I was going to say, that while a really cool trick, it looks like your new aircraft lights are going to melt your cheap harbor frieght housings.
    I don't think it'll really affect it that much, remember rubber doesn't really melt (it does burn, but not at the temps these will see). Anyway, night time shots and heat testing will have to wait until I get back . . .

better watch the regulations here in PA
    so far my little "Subaru" fog mod seems to be passing the cops without issues,
    granted i have it so when the high beam indicator on teh dash lights up,
    the lights i have come on too.

looks good dude!

Man, you're killing us! Two nights with no beamshots?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    better watch the regulations here in PA
    so far my little "Subaru" fog mod seems to be passing the cops without issues,
    granted i have it so when the high beam indicator on teh dash lights up,
    the lights i have come on too.

looks good dude!
    As far as cops go, I think a big part of it has to do with the size of the lights and how far off the road they are. Best bet is to make them not so obvious so the police don't give them a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    Man, you're killing us! Two nights with no beamshots?
    I'm in a hotel in Philly with my dog in U of Penn Veterinary Hospital, about 2.5 hours from home . . . when I get back I'll be sure to snap a pic. I did light them up in the driveway and can say they throw a lot of light, but it wasn't a good shot to show distance or beam spread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    I'm in a hotel in Philly with my dog in U of Penn Veterinary Hospital, about 2.5 hours from home . . . when I get back I'll be sure to snap a pic. I did light them up in the driveway and can say they throw a lot of light, but it wasn't a good shot to show distance or beam spread
    how long are you folks planning to be up there?

from these you can see that the headlights don't even compare to the spotlights . . . in fact, I could hardly tell when the headlights were on except the headlights have a wider beam and filled in the sides a bit

low beam headlights
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk171/batardsalamano/cheap%20driving%20lights/100_26801.jpg[/img]

spot lights only (ignore the poor aiming on the right side, I need to modify my mount a bit to get it up a bit)
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk171/batardsalamano/cheap%20driving%20lights/100_26811.jpg[/img]

low beams + spots
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk171/batardsalamano/cheap%20driving%20lights/100_26821.jpg[/img]

high beams + spots
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk171/batardsalamano/cheap%20driving%20lights/100_26831.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast