Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chopped roof idea for 4Runner

Re: Chopped roof idea for 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    My 86' cost me 10 bucks a month, liability + un-insured motorist, in insurance and I have three vehicles and two perfect drivers ? I also live in Cali. Buy a 1st gen for the price your gonna invest.
    do you guys have clean driving records?
    I tired to price together insurance for me to get a 88 Runner and still ended up paying 250!
    I am chalking it up to my speeding ticket and my once accident where i totaled my car...

^^ What he said. The older they are the cheaper to insure. I'm 22 and my '83 is peanuts to insure.

I know insurance wouldn't be that much, but I don't have a place to keep a 3rd vehicle and it's just another vehicle where some part could go bad or fail, plus it would be stock, whereas my 3rd gen is F+R Locked, geared, with 35's and F+R bumpers winch, lift, etc. so it would be a lot of $$$ to get an older model up to the wheeling capability.

I have considered a 1st gen in the past, but for the couple grand I would invest in that, I could probably do this.

Thanks for the ideas though

Avy, it helps to get married............but, don't go doing that!
    "All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you..."

I like the idea of turning a 3rd gen into an open air truck similar to a 1st gen. It sounds like you have it pretty well outfitted, so it would be shame to have to start over with a new truck. I look forward to seeing the results if you go trough with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NC994Run

More or less, I want to replace the roof sheet metal and rear glass with a removable canvas top, I've also been toying the idea of trying to add a truck style tailgate and eliminating the rear hatch, but nothing is set in stone right now

My idea would be like that except with the soft top covering the seating area as well

here it is from my perspective of what you want

then of course you would cut all the way up to the sunroof leaving about 1 inch on either side for the door jams and reinforcing the side parts with another part of the cage id assume

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cn04542ef5.jpg

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Not quiet as much cutting as you where talking about, but if you did this and left the back window open, it would be a lot of air flow.
    http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...oof/index.html
    I saw Stacy David from Trucks! put one on a tocoma or something. I you feel you have a steady hand with a sawz-all you could do this yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin2N
    Not quiet as much cutting as you where talking about, but if you did this and left the back window open, it would be a lot of air flow.
    http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...oof/index.html
    I saw Stacy David from Trucks! put one on a tocoma or something. I you feel you have a steady hand with a sawz-all you could do this yourself.
    That is really cool!!!! I just added that to my favorites.
    My signature

That is a factory option on new jeep liberty's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12