Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Mounting Pics

Re: GPS Mounting Pics

Eee-pc running winXP with iguidance4/MS streets and trips/google earth

This is NOT my truck, but an image I scavenged from the internet in the name of idea-gathering.

It's a 2005+ Tacoma, Garmin 60CSx, and a RAM mount fitted to the triangular trim cover on the door... 4Runners can't do this since y'all have tweeter mounted in your door right there. However, you could use a RAM diamond mount bolted through the A-pillar trim cover with a backing plate for support. That might also draw the GPS unit away from the steering wheel and keep you from slapping it with your hand when you make sharp turns.

--- Gary

diggin the knight rider sticker

having 2 aftermarket head units and 2 gps stolen(one with all my fishing spots for 3 years) in the past, i would not recommend any method of mount your gps in plain sight, even you live in a NICE area.

When I got the Garmin stolen, the vehicle was parked inside a parking garage at LB Convention Center, 50 yards away from the guard booth, i had the gps unit placed in the glovebox but kept the suction mount on the windshield. no only i lost the gps, also the small window on the back door. Most insurance policies don't cover add-on items such as gps, off road lights, etc.

Just proceed with caution.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Oh my GPS does not stay there when I am out of the truck.
    It goes into the glove box and gets locked, or if I have my backpack, comes with me

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen
    having 2 aftermarket head units and 2 gps stolen(one with all my fishing spots for 3 years) in the past, i would not recommend any method of mount your gps in plain sight, even you live in a NICE area.
    I have to strongly agree and go beyond somewhat - I've never had anything stolen (yet)(crosses fingers) because I've never had a GPS mounted in the usual windshield/side pillar mounting places. Why? Because, where I used to live and in the areas that I still have to frequent, taking the mount with you and all signs of the GPS once being there is, sadly, not enough.

Some crooks do this: they'll see the GPS mounted in your windshield, take a chance and follow you ( maybe you're not going far) when you park up and stow away ALL signs of the GPS...they don't know if you've taken it with you or simply put it away. Goodbye window. at least.

So, I've always had it down here:

It works for me. GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 770. The 3M mounting disk is the only potential give-away.
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    diggin the knight rider sticker
    It actually is the Knight Rider GPS. It has the original voice of KITT. Nothing like having KITT tell you where to go. It is a pretty good unit and i am pleased.
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

WOOT !!

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Mine is mounted to the dash with a hard mount on a swivel. Those suction cup deals never stay when thrashing through the ruff stuff.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen

I have to strongly agree and go beyond somewhat - I've never had anything stolen (yet)(crosses fingers) because I've never had a GPS mounted in the usual windshield/side pillar mounting places. Why? Because, where I used to live and in the areas that I still have to frequent, taking the mount with you and all signs of the GPS once being there is, sadly, not enough.

Some crooks do this: they'll see the GPS mounted in your windshield, take a chance and follow you ( maybe you're not going far) when you park up and stow away ALL signs of the GPS...they don't know if you've taken it with you or simply put it away. Goodbye window. at least.

So, I've always had it down here:

It works for me. GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 770. The 3M mounting disk is the only potential give-away.
    Criminals don't put in that much effort. Most just look through the parking lot for the ring left by the suction cup on the windshield.
    I'd rather be on the road with a teenager texting than someone who has their GPS mounted on the floor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast